History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Main Gate and Perimeter Walls, Marine Gate

A Grade II Listed Building in Portsmouth, City of Portsmouth

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7852 / 50°47'6"N

Longitude: -1.0575 / 1°3'27"W

OS Eastings: 466534

OS Northings: 98824

OS Grid: SZ665988

Mapcode National: GBR VXC.MF

Mapcode Global: FRA 87N0.KV6

Entry Name: Main Gate and Perimeter Walls, Marine Gate

Listing Date: 25 September 1972

Last Amended: 18 March 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387089

English Heritage Legacy ID: 474505

Location: Portsmouth, PO4

County: City of Portsmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Eastney and Craneswater

Built-Up Area: Portsmouth

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Milton St James

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Southsea

Listing Text


PORTSMOUTH

SZ6698NE CROMWELL ROAD, Eastney
774-1/27/152 (East side)
25/09/72 Main Gate and perimeter walls,
Marine Gate
(Formerly Listed as:
CROMWELL ROAD, Eastney
Walls and main gate of Eastney
Barracks facing Cromwell Road)

GV II

Main gate and defensible perimeter walls to RM Eastney
Barracks. 1862-7, by William Scamp, for the Admiralty Works
Department; converted 1995. Flint, red brick and ashlar. Walls
define a rectangular plot, with main gate at mid-point in west
wall, east wall broken by two C20 roads, and on south side
only a short stretch of wall (approx 15 metres long) at either
end terminating in a large square pier. Main gate has banded
brick piers each with ashlar hanging style and frieze below
pedimented capstone which supports large iron lamp standard
with finialed rounded cap. To either side, brick wall has
pedestrian archway; eaves frieze and plain cornice continued
from pier; and outward pointing ashlar mortar. Rest of wall is
of flint rubble with red brick bands, quoined pilaster strips
and stepped rounded coping; horizontal gun apertures with
stone lintels at approx 1 metre intervals. The terminating
piers of south wall have quadrant steps up to a round archway
on inner face; slits to north and south faces; band below
massive, roll moulded stepped pyramidal capstone; and to the
west pier a low screen wall, formerly surmounted by inward
pointing ashlar mortar and pile of mortar balls (removed
1992).
HISTORY: the walls formed the perimeter to the former Marines
barracks, illustrating the defensible nature of the barracks.
This is probably the last large defensible barracks built in
the country, designed against an external threat, rather than
for the more usual civil order duties. Part of the best and
most complete barracks of the post-Crimean war period.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Lloyd D: Hampshire and
the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1967-: 429; PSA Drawings
Collection, NMR, Swindon: 1862-1865: PTM/2275-2383).


Listing NGR: SZ6658898977

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.