This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2418 / 51°14'30"N
Longitude: 0.1039 / 0°6'13"E
OS Eastings: 546951
OS Northings: 151287
OS Grid: TQ469512
Mapcode National: GBR LM2.32M
Mapcode Global: VHHPX.R18T
Entry Name: Village Hall
Listing Date: 12 May 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387209
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475131
Location: Brasted, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN16
Civil Parish: Brasted
Built-Up Area: Toy's Hill
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Sundridge St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 45 SE BRASTED TOYS HILL
45/10063 Village Hall
Village hall also used as chapel. Dated 1910 on ornamental clock. Vernacular Revival style building of roughcast, with tiled gable and tiled roof with roughcast and tiled chimneystacks. One storey and basement. Front has tall tile-hung gable with projecting upper part and pattern of cross in paler coloured tiles to lower half denoting chapel at this end. Triple casement in gable below. Basement, which is here at ground level because of sloping ground, has 4 buttresses (centre ones triangular, end ones truncated triangular, two cambered casements and central doorcase in cambered opening with plank door Above the door is a decorative metal plaque with the date 1910, a clock face, two cherubs heads and leaf motif border. Right side elevation has one casement window and projecting porch to rear with panelled door. Other side similar but without porch. One casement window to rear. Interior has a five bay hall of which the end bay has a platform reached up three steps and is used as a chapel with decorative folding doors and communion rail. This bay has close-studding with plaster infill, diagonal tension braces with criss-cross infill and ogee-bracing at the sides. Roof structure has two tiers of purling and curved windbraces. Each bay has kingpost and two queen posts with square metal pins. Oak panelling halfway up walls with inscription "This panelling is in loving memory of Lucy Pease Fleming who live at Toys Hill 1896-1909 and who loved it." The opposite side has an inscription "In cherished memory of Richard the beloved only son of Owen and Edith Fleming who fell at his post of duty at the battle o the Mareth Line Libya on 22 March 1943, aged 24." Left side vestry with built-in benches, cupboard' and bellrope, right side wooden winder staircase with chamfered corner post to basement.
Listing NGR: TQ4726750343
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings