History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Chapel of Ease

A Grade II Listed Building in Redruth, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2334 / 50°14'0"N

Longitude: -5.2305 / 5°13'49"W

OS Eastings: 169713

OS Northings: 42039

OS Grid: SW697420

Mapcode National: GBR Z3.DH3D

Mapcode Global: VH12K.9D6F

Entry Name: Former Chapel of Ease

Listing Date: 21 May 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387278

English Heritage Legacy ID: 475213

Location: Redruth, Cornwall, TR15

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Redruth

Built-Up Area: Redruth

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Redruth

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Redruth

Listing Text

SW 64 SE REDRUTH CHAPEL STREET

1535/11/10020 Former Chapel of Ease

GV II

Chapel of ease. 1828; by Charles Hutchens. Dressed granite and granite ashlar dressings. Corrugated asbestos sheet roof with stone coping to gable ends.
PLAN: Rectangular on plan with small porch to entrance at east end, and turret at west end. Commissioners' Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: West end with advanced centre rising above the gable with battlements, and 3-light 4-centred arch window with cusped tracery and small gabled stone porch below with pointed arch window and side doorway; diagonal buttresses at the corners with set-offs and pinnacles. Similar buttresses and pinnacles on the corners of the west end which has a projecting turret, its bellcote missing; the turret has a pointed arch panel with trefoiled oculus and flanking pointed arch windows with cusped wooden tracery. The north and south sides each have four pointed arch windows with wooden window frames with cusped tracery, and chamfered square headed windows below.
INTERIOR much altered.
NOTE: The Chapel of Ease was built in 1828 near the town centre to provide for the increasing mining population, as the parish church was situated out of Redruth.

Listing NGR: SW6971342039

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.