History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Snape Barn

A Grade II Listed Building in Wadhurst, East Sussex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0484 / 51°2'54"N

Longitude: 0.3188 / 0°19'7"E

OS Eastings: 562627

OS Northings: 130235

OS Grid: TQ626302

Mapcode National: GBR NSB.9D2

Mapcode Global: FRA C6KB.VC1

Entry Name: Snape Barn

Listing Date: 14 June 1999

Last Amended: 17 June 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387304

English Heritage Legacy ID: 475254

Location: Wadhurst, Wealden, East Sussex, TN5

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

Civil Parish: Wadhurst

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Tidebrook St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Wadhurst

Listing Text

TQ 63 SW WADHURST

SNAPE LANE
15/10058 Snape Barn

II

Barn, later converted into a great hall and subsequently into a house. Probably late C15 or early C16, with some alterations and extensions of c1900 by George Barham of Express Dairy Co Ltd who adapted the adjoining farmhouse as his residence and further mid 1950s alterations. Timberframed, clad in weatherboarding on sandstone plinth with steeply pitched tiled roof with c1900 stepped brick chimneystack to southern end. East side has c1900 gabled porch, timberframed with pebbledashed infill with bargeboards and jacobean style finial and pendant with VR and the initials GB for George Barham. The upper part of the building has c1900 leaded light windows with some coloured heraldic glass. Lower part has mid C20 casement windows. West side has c1900 lead rainwater head with fleur de lys and flat roofed timber 1950s. INTERIOR: Five bays. Collar rafter roof with crown posts of square section, the northernmost one replaced c1900. Curved headbraces to collar and the two central crown posts have ogee-shaped down braces and the southernmost has curved downbraces to tie beam. Circa 1900 additional pairs of diagonal braces were added to the crown posts together with purlins. Gunstock jowled upright posts with curved tension braces. Wall frame has midrail and pairs of curved or ogee bracing above to each bay with one pair missing to south western most bay. Original central cart entrance modified c1900 by the insertion of curved braces to east and replacement framing without braces to west. Many main beams are chamfered with runout stops. Southern end has c1900 gallery supported on reused C 17 beam with triangular stop with plastered decorative panels above. The gallery is approached up a narrow wooden winder staircase. The fireplace is unusually faced with pebbles. Barn shown on 1796 map of the manor of Birdham.

Listing NGR: TQ6319630051

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.