This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8081 / 50°48'29"N
Longitude: -0.3918 / 0°23'30"W
OS Eastings: 513404
OS Northings: 102178
OS Grid: TQ134021
Mapcode National: GBR HMN.9RD
Mapcode Global: FRA B62Y.M6J
Plus Code: 9C2XRJ55+67
Entry Name: Black Nest Hall
Listing Date: 15 July 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387409
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475370
Location: Marine, Worthing, West Sussex, BN11
County: West Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Marine
Built-Up Area: Worthing
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Heene St Botolph
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 1302 WORTHING GRAND AVENUE
753/14/10036 Number 18
Black Nest Hall
Includes: Black Nest Hall, BATH ROAD, WORTHING.
Barn, then house. C18 (reportedly 1728), dismantled, re-erected and converted 1926-7 by C P Munn and A Beresford Pite; 1960s addition; restoration and alterations c. 1975. Timber framed with herring-bone brick nogging; gables tile-hung with bands of fishscale tiles; concrete tile roof; brick chimneys. 6-bay barn with rear lean-to and opposing cart-entries, that at rear in midstrey. Converted to house with central open hall spanned by balconies at two levels to provide communication between rooms at either end; rear lean-to and midstrey retained, the latter housing stair. Converted in Tudor style, having: narrow panels and curved braces to framing; chamfered plinth; mullioned windows with leaded lights and casements, windows at left ("solar") end having Tudor-arched lights; 2-storey canted glazed porch with mullions and transoms and Tudor-arched board door; large decorative chimneys. 2 storeys and attic; 6 framed bays. Mid-rail of timber frame concealed by decorative lead band with vine and grape motif. Entrance to bay 3. Windows of 3, 4 and 6 lights to ground floor; 4, 3 and 3 lights above, the framing and window to first -floor left bay replacing former glazed screen wall of internal balcony. Single, pedimented, 3-light attic dormer with console-bracketed eared architrave. Lead rainwater pipes. Roof has weather vane and large chimney on left with coupled diagonally-set stacks with moulded heads; another stack to rear of 5th bay. Addition on right has re-set 1920s window and rainwater pipe, and board door. Further mullioned windows to rear and returns. Interior: timber frame has large-scantling unjowelled wall-posts, large arched braces to tie-beams; rectangular panels; midrail; queen-post roof with principal and common rafters and staggered butt purlins. Exposed brick walls at either end of open hall with large Tudor-arched fireplaces and Tudor-arched openings. Wooden open-well stair. Wide floor-boards. Linenfold and board doors. Wooden balusters to balconies. Decoratively-painted wind dial in attic. Re-used C19 panelling to lower ceiling in hall and lower balcony. The original barn was located at Dunsfold, Surrey.
A good-quality house of the 1920s exemplifying the Inter War vogue for embellishing genuine old buildings in a Tudor style.
Listing NGR: TQ1340402178
Other nearby listed buildings