This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7496 / 51°44'58"N
Longitude: -1.2452 / 1°14'42"W
OS Eastings: 452206
OS Northings: 205926
OS Grid: SP522059
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.B0D
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.C9L2
Entry Name: Library
Listing Date: 23 July 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387551
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475525
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX4
Electoral Ward/Division: St Mary's
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Clement
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 5205 OXFORD ST HILDA'S COLLEGE
Oxford college library. 1934, by Sir Edwin Cooper. Buff-coloured English bond brick with tile and stone dressings. Slate hipped roof behind parapet with plain stone coping. Brick axial stacks.
PLAN: Rectangular on plan with library on ground floor; attached to north end of earlier college building. Neo-Georgian style.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attic and basement. East front 1:5 bays. Tall triple-hung sash windows to ground floor with tile architraves and keyblocks, first floor windows above with louvred shutters, broad stone cill band to second floor windows, left bay slightly recessed and right-hand bay advanced, both with oculi to first floor. West garden front similar but 1:4:1 bays, the ground floor end bays have tall sashes in stone recesses with round arches and small brick balconies; the basement windows with rusticated stone arches set in stone band. All sash windows with glazing bars. Flat roof dormers. North side, 3 bays, centre ground floor window has cambered arch, bay to left is recessed. The library is attached to Old Hall, St Hilda's College to the south, the top storey of the canted north bay on the west side is of the 1934 build by Cooper.
INTERIOR: The rectangular-plan library is panelled in oak and galleried on all four sides, the galleries with balustrades between broad piers that support a coffered ceiling; the doorway architraves at either end have cornices on console brackets and small wooden urns above; the double doors are covered in leather; polygonal vestibules.
SOURCE: Buildings of England, p.245.
Listing NGR: SP5220605926
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings