This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9046 / 51°54'16"N
Longitude: -2.067 / 2°4'1"W
OS Eastings: 395488
OS Northings: 222896
OS Grid: SO954228
Mapcode National: GBR 2M5.D8M
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.4D49
Plus Code: 9C3VWW3M+R6
Entry Name: Tower House
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387604
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475579
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52
Electoral Ward/Division: Pittville
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham All Saints (Pittville)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9522NW PRESTBURY ROAD
630-1/10/713 (South side)
05/05/72 Tower House
Formerly known as: Apsley House PITTVILLE CIRCUS.
Villa now flats. 1840 with later additions and alterations
including C20 attics. Edward Cope, builder. Stucco over brick
with concealed roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on basement and with attics, 3 first-floor
windows and 1 to 3-storey round tower at right angle. Stucco
detailing includes tooled architraves to ground-floor windows
with broken segmental 'pediments' on corbels; first-floor
band; crowning frieze, paired corbel brackets to wide eaves.
Ground floor has 2/2 horizontal-pane and 6/3 sashes; otherwise
6/6 sashes throughout, those to tower are curved on section;
all in plain reveals and with sills. Off-centre right
entrance, flight of renewed steps to distyle Doric porch with
wreaths to frieze; within a 4-panel door with divided
overlight. Tower has first- and second-floor bands and Regency
style battlements concealing attic roof lights. Left return
has 4 first-floor windows; stepped breakforward to left. All
ground-floor windows have 2/2 horizontal-pane sashes with
tooled architraves and broken pediments as front facade;
otherwise 6/6 sashes.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Cope laid out Pittville Circus in 1839-40 on
land purchased from Joseph Pitt. Tower House, originally known
as Apsley House, forms part of this development.
An unusual and distinguished villa design, one of a good group
of villas, with Sligo House (qv), and Southend House (No.32)
(qv), Prestbury Road and Nos 1 and 2 Pittville Circus, at the
important junction of Prestbury Road, Wellington Road, Albert
Road and Pittville Circus.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 151).
Listing NGR: SO9548822896
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings