This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9004 / 51°54'1"N
Longitude: -2.0762 / 2°4'34"W
OS Eastings: 394855
OS Northings: 222430
OS Grid: SO948224
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.XK0
Mapcode Global: VH947.YHSH
Plus Code: 9C3VWW2F+5G
Entry Name: 21 TO 31, PROMENADE (See details for further address information)
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387623
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475609
Location: Lansdown, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
630-1/13/731 (North West side)
12/03/55 Nos.21-31 (Odd)
(Formerly Listed as:
(North West side)
Nos.21-31, 43 AND 45 (Odd))
(Formerly Listed as:
Includes: No.20 CLARENCE STREET.
Terrace of 6 houses, now shops. Numbered right to left,
described left to right. c1820-30 with later additions and
alterations including c1980s shop fronts to Nos 21 and 29 and
31. Stucco over brick with concealed roof, stucco party-wall
stacks and iron verandah and balcony.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, with attic to right return, 20
first-floor windows (3 per house except 2 to right). Ground
floor breaks forwards. Stucco detailing includes continuous
first-floor sill band; right end house has horizontal
rustication to ground floor, continuing to right return,
surmounted by end pilasters with sunk panels, that to left has
carved floral decoration to panel, continuous frieze and
cornice, low parapet; first-floor windows at right have tooled
architraves and continuous cornice on console brackets. 6/6
sashes throughout. 6/6 sashes throughout, all in plain reveals
and with sills. Ground floor: late C20 frontage to banking
hall at left with glazed entrances to left and right.
Otherside glazed shop fronts, some with turned mullions.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: to right end a glazed verandah with Art
Nouveau type ironwork; Nos 23 and 25 share a similar
balustrade with broad verandah.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Promenade was laid out in 1818 as a
tree-lined drive to the Sherborne Spa (on the site of the
Queen's Hotel qv) from the Colonnade in the High Street, by
1826 it was a carriage drive with spacious gravelled walk on
each side. Although originally on either side were 'rows of
elegant houses', by 1845 when George Rowe wrote his Cheltenham
Guide (published in 1850), he noted that 'nearly the whole of
the left-hand (SE) side .. is devoted to professional or
business establishments.' Buildings on the NW were first to be
Forms a continuous terrace with Nos 33-45 Promenade (qv).
(Chatwin A: Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork: Cheltenham:
1975-1984: 29; The Buildings of England: Verey D:
Gloucestershire: The Vale and The Forest of Dean: London:
1970-: 146; Williams GA: Guide Book to the Cheltenham Spa:
1824-: 28; Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham Guide: Cheltenham:
Listing NGR: SO9485122450
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings