This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0758 / 51°4'32"N
Longitude: 1.1736 / 1°10'24"E
OS Eastings: 622402
OS Northings: 135510
OS Grid: TR224355
Mapcode National: GBR W21.HHW
Mapcode Global: FRA F6B8.R10
Plus Code: 9F3335GF+8C
Entry Name: Leas Cliff Hall
Listing Date: 27 July 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387728
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475716
Location: Folkestone, Folkestone and Hythe, Kent, CT20
Civil Parish: Folkestone
Built-Up Area: Folkestone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 2235 NW FOLKESTONE THE LEAS
Leas Cliff Hall
Seaside pavilion with concert/dance hall. Designed in 1913 by J L Seaton Dahl but built between 1925 and 1927 with some 1980 refurbishment and alterations. Neo-Grec style building built directly into the cliff face. Concrete pier construction with ferro-concrete main floor and steel columns and girders filled in with brick where necessary. Two lower floors are finished in sand-faced stucco and colourwashed, the two upper floors clad in faience. Three balconies, the lower one cantilevered, with metal balustrading. Flat roof with terrace and 1980 octagonal pagoda style entrance, replacing original neo-Grec entrance. Four storeys; 15 bays to three lower floors and 10 bays to top floor, metal-framed windows, some original, others of similar design, with much of the glass replaced by bronze tinted glass c.1980. Third floor is recessed and projects a few feet above the level of The Leas with ornate metal balustrading with piers at regular intervals on three sides and steps down to balcony above second floor. Elaborate cornice with modillions, brackets and lions' head masks. Triple windows with circular motifs above. Central semi-circular dome. Second floor has wide cantilevered concrete balcony with metal balustrading and central 13 window bays, including central 3-light curved bay, have half-columns, end bays have paired columns and sides have pilasters and pedimented entrances with panels bearing the emblem of Folkestone crowned by acroterion and flanked by dolphins, pilasters, cornice and double doors. Cornice is decorated with wreaths. First floor has windows in two tiers with central three windows to round-headed bay having small cantilevered balcony with metal balustrading. Ground floor is set back with a colonnade of square piers.
INTERIOR: Grand staircase of terrazzo with Carborundum inlay to the treads (since carpeted) and metal balustrading and main hall 122 feet by 67 feet and 28 feet high with coffered ceiling, Composite columns, semi-circular recess for orchestra and balconies with metal balustrading. There was also a smaller reading room.
[BOE North East and East Kent p328.
J M Paine and K S Paine "The History of the Leas Cliff Hall and Leas Shelter, Folkestone", pamphlet produced for Folkestone and District Local History Society. ]
Listing NGR: TR2240235510
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings