This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5103 / 52°30'37"N
Longitude: -2.0911 / 2°5'27"W
OS Eastings: 393916
OS Northings: 290269
OS Grid: SO939902
Mapcode National: GBR 4NF.DJ
Mapcode Global: VH91B.P5XG
Entry Name: Shakespeare Public House
Listing Date: 28 July 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387745
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475734
Location: Dudley, DY1
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: Dudley (Dudley)
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Dudley St Thomas and St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 99 SW DUDLEY STAFFORD STREET
726/5/10025 Number 74,
Shakespeare public House
Public house. c.1870, with minor late C20 alterations.. Rendered and painted brickwork . Ribbed clay tiled roof. End stacks. PLAN. Central corridor leading to 3 bars, two of left, 1 on right. EXTERIOR. 2 storeys, 3 bays, the right hand bay a lower extension. Ground floor with 2 canted bay windows with doorway between. 4 panel door, the upper 2 panels glazed.Right hand end bay without openings. Shallow canopy above, carried on brackets and supporting a painted fascia sign .First floor has 3 horned sash windows under flat labels with console brackets; between the 2 left-hand windows a blind window under a slightly pedimented head. Side elevation to Southalls Lane with 3 sash windows to ground floor and a single window to first floor. INTERIOR. Quarry-tiled corridor gives access on left-hand side to small main bar, This has a bar counter with simple pilastered bar front with shallow brackets supporting counter.. Fixed seating with baffle to the side of the plank door. Hearth to side wall with metal plates to surround. Hatch from servery to corridorset into vertically boarded and framed partition. Bar to right hand side of corridor with fixed seating and baffles flanking a 6-panel door.. Large rear bar with door into servery and fixed seating. Contemporary fire surround. The public house was first recorded in the 1820s.and was one of 13 public houses in Stafford Street c.1900. An increasingly rare example of a once-common public house type - a simple street-corner establishment serving the needs of the local an industrial working class community. The fittings are largely as they existed at the turn of the century.
Listing NGR: SO9391690269
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings