This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2617 / 53°15'42"N
Longitude: -3.025 / 3°1'30"W
OS Eastings: 331723
OS Northings: 374343
OS Grid: SJ317743
Mapcode National: GBR 7Z9Q.WH
Mapcode Global: WH87Z.H8RV
Plus Code: 9C5R7X6F+MX
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 27 December 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387811
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475803
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH64
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Little Neston and Burton
Built-Up Area: Burton
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Burton St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ3174 VILLAGE STREET, Burton Village
794-1/11/15 (North side)
27/12/62 Church of St Nicholas
Parish church. C12 and C14; re-ordered 1721 on datestone over
south door; restoration and chancel rebuilt 1870.
MATERIALS: coursed red sandstone; grey slate roofs with stone
coped gables and sandstone ridges.
PLAN: continuous nave and chancel; north aisle, continuous
chapel and north vestry; west tower.
EXTERIOR: 4-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. 4-stage tower with south
and west doors of nail-studded oak under semicircular heads
with keystones and ogee architraves. The tower is divided into
stages by projecting bands, the lower band inscribed with the
names of trustees, mason, carpenter, and date of remodelling.
Above the south door there is a semicircular headed window
with imposts and keystone and leaded glazing: at third stage,
a single hand clock dial. Bell-chamber openings are louvred
with Y-traceried heads. Moulded cornice and plain solid
parapet. Twin gabled east end has 2-stage buttresses
diagonally at outer angles and between gables: both have
3-light windows with intersecting tracery, that to north
chapel dating to 1380.
North and south walls have simple round headed lights in pairs
surmounted by a circular light, all recessed within a slightly
projecting semicircular arch, with flanking pilasters and
sill. Ogee-moulded eaves cornice and solid coped parapet.
On the south side, a multi-stepped buttress separates nave
from chancel. Chancel south windows are paired lancets with
North vestry has two trefoil-headed lancets in the gable end.
Stone gable crosses to chancel and vestry.
INTERIOR: 5-bay north arcade based on Tuscan columns and with
keystones to the arches. 5-panel oak altar, without reredos
fronted by Jacobean style communion rail with alternate
twisted and turned balusters.
Choir stalls with trefoil and quatrefoil motifs fronted by oak
rail with trefoil and quatrefoil tracery which incorporates an
earlier pulpit. Massey Chapel to north has plain altar table
fronted by simple rail and oak verticals. Vestry door of pine
boards on strap hinges in shouldered arch. Pews are of pine
with alternate spade and fleur-de-lys pewends.
Stained glass by Kempe in chancel east window. Wood
commandment boards of 1700 above tower arch with war memorials
below. Massey memorials, marble 1579, alabaster 1794; Congreve
hatchment 1820. Set of 5 bells date from 1724.
Roofs: continuous nave and chancel roofs of bracketed collar
trusses incorporating cusped wind braces, exposed purlins,
ridge trees, ashlars and rafters. Trusses are seated on wooden
and stone corbels.
Listing NGR: SJ3172374343
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings