This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9015 / 51°54'5"N
Longitude: -2.0803 / 2°4'49"W
OS Eastings: 394570
OS Northings: 222558
OS Grid: SO945225
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.NW7
Mapcode Global: VH947.WGLM
Entry Name: Church of St Gregory
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387870
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475862
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9422NE ST JAMES'S SQUARE
630-1/9/835 (East side)
05/05/72 Church of St Gregory
Roman Catholic Church. 1854-7, tower and south porch of 1859
with west end completed 1875 and consecrated 1876; c1970s
extension to presbytery. Architect, Charles Hansom; builder,
Mr Acock of Cheltenham with completion of the church and much
of the carving by Boulton of Cheltenham and reredos by Farmer
of London; stained glass by Hardman. For the Benedictine
Order. Stone with ashlar and Aberdeen granite dressings and
plain tile roof.
STYLE: Middle Pointed
PLAN: the church is not orientated normally but has its
chancel to the south end, the description refers to liturgical
points; cruciform plan with 5-bay aisled nave with clerestory
and west chapels with 3-stage west tower with octagonal spire;
transept with south-east (Lady) chapel and north-east
sacristy, 2-bay chancel.
EXTERIOR: Chamfered plinth throughout. All windows have
Decorated-type tracery to heads. Tower: angle buttresses,
gabled, surmounted by pinnacles with finials to corners of
enriched parapet which has canopied niche to centre of each
face with figures of saints (George, Ambrose, Gregory and
Augustine). Stair turret to north east. Entrance in west end,
2 plank doors in Caernarven-arched surround and with banded
column between surmounted by figure of St Gregory the Great,
with carved panels to tympanum showing St Gregory's visit to
Britain and St Augustine preaching to Ethelbert, King of Kent.
3 orders of arches on columns with foliate capitals, decorated
ogee hoodmould. Moulded first-stage band and 4-light west
window; clock over (to west and south sides); 2-light belfry
windows with column between and single order of arches. Spire
has 2 tiers of lucarnes. Gabled south porch to 2nd bay has
double pointed doors within arch on column cluster responds
with cusped cinquefoil head with foliate decorations and
hoodmould with headstops; Christ enthroned above; copings and
cross to apex. To west of porch a gabled chapel with
buttresses, 3-light window with 4-centred arch and with 2
lancet windows with tracery to head to west side, all with
hoodmoulds and face stops. Aisle (south): first bay has three
2-light windows; otherwise three 2-light windows. North aisle
has similar fenestration. Clerestories have stepped and cusped
3-light windows in chamfered surrounds. Tall, gabled transepts
have 4-light pointed windows with hoodmould and facestops to
south on angel corbels. Lady Chapel has two 2-light windows
with continuous hoodmould and face stops; 3-light window to
east end with ogeed hood rising to statue of Blessed Virgin
Mary. Chancel has 5-light east window with hoodmould and face
stops, small window to apex. Belcot over chancel arch.
INTERIOR: aisles have double-chamfered, pointed arcade on
column clusters; similar arches to west end of nave on angel
corbels; continuous hoodmould. Similar, taller
double-chamfered arches to crossing and chancel, all with
hoodmoulds and on column cluster responds. South-west chapel
has octagonal font on short columns and with quatrefoils to
faces; ornate ironwork balustrade. West screen with 3 arches
on column clusters with foliate capitals, 4 figures of saints
on column corbels at level of balustrade which has blind
tracery. Pulpit (by Boulton) has scene of Christ preaching on
the Mount, also St Gregory and St Benedict. Reredos has
canopied niches with figures of the Evangelists with SS
Gregory and Benedict. 14 Stations of the Cross (by Boulton).
Cornices enriched by carved paterae. Ceilings to chapels and
sanctuary have painted panels. Nave has arched-braced roof the
principals springing from circular shafts with moulded caps
and bases. Complete set of Hardman windows.
The west tower with spire provides a prominent local landmark.
An important townscape feature.
Adjoins The Old Priory, No.70 Clarence Street (qv).
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 113-114; Blake S: Cheltenham's Churches and Chapels AD
773-1883: Cheltenham: 1979-: 32-33; Close J, Clarke A and
Clarke R: St Gregory the Great Cheltenham: 1977-; Sladen T:
Notes: 1995-; Howell P and Sutton I: Faber Guide to Victorian
Churches: London: 1989-: 25).
Listing NGR: SO9457222540
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings