This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5688 / 53°34'7"N
Longitude: -2.4645 / 2°27'52"W
OS Eastings: 369337
OS Northings: 408126
OS Grid: SD693081
Mapcode National: GBR CW75.7D
Mapcode Global: WH97V.3KQD
Plus Code: 9C5VHG9P+G6
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 23 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388085
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476083
Location: Bolton, BL3
Electoral Ward/Division: Heaton and Lostock
Built-Up Area: Bolton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Deane St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD60NE JUNCTION ROAD, Deane
797-1/3/238 (North side (off))
23/04/52 Church of St Mary
Parish church. Mainly late Perpendicular, but incorporating
elements of an earlier building, and with clerestory added in
1833. restored c1880. Coursed and squared stone with shallow
leaded roof. West tower, nave with clerestory and 2 aisles,
themselves with clerestory windows. Chancel integral with
EXTERIOR: undivided west tower, with ogee arched west doorway
and 3-light traceried window above. Paired bell chamber
lights, and clock in moulded stone surround on the south face.
Embattled parapet with angle pinnacles.
South aisle clearly added, as quoins of original nave wall
visible in western elevation.
South porch with 4-centred arched entrance, embattled coped
gable with finials. 5 clerestory windows to aisle, of 3 and
4-lights, round headed in chamfered rectangular openings.
Similar lower windows, and a segmentally arched window of
3-lights east of porch. Blocked doorway in 4-centred moulded
archway towards the east. Embattled parapet.
Nave clerestory forms continuous band of 10 windows, each of
3-lights in chamfered rectangular openings.
North aisle similar to south, extended by one bay to west and
with north door in moulded arch with hoodmould.
Higher chapel to east of north aisle, alongside chancel.
Massive east window of 7 lights divided by transom to chancel,
and wide 5-light window in its south wall.
INTERIOR: 5 bay arcade, with octagonal shafts and double
chamfered arches; the 2 north-west bays appear to be somewhat
earlier, and have primitive beasts heads carved on the
capitals; north arcade lower than the south, suggesting that
it is an earlier construction (external evidence for for
addition of south aisle supports this). Moulded tie beams
carried on wall posts sprung from corbels.
Western tower arch, with canopied screen incorporating clock.
Traceried screen divides eastern bay of south aisle to form
small chapel. Undivided chancel. Organ to north of chancel in
richly carved canopied case; Timber reredos occupies entire
east wall of chancel, forming arcade of canopied niches.
FITTINGS: timber altar, with central low relief panel
depicting the martydom of George Marsh in 1555; Jacobean
pulpit. Pews and choir stalls all probably early C19, some
with poppy heads. C18 candelabra over chancel steps, brass,
with globe and branching scrolled candle holders.
STAINED GLASS: east window by William Warrington, 1845, the
apostles, medieval style. South aisle, south-east window,
Kempe, 1907; First World War memorial window, unattributed,
medieval style depiction of British patron Sts; Sunday School
window, 1865, in memory of Elisabeth Heelis, unattributed,
medieval style. North aisle includes a window of 1887, mem.
John Kynnaston Cross, Pre-Raphaelite style, but unattributed,
and the George Marsh memorial window, 1897.
Listing NGR: SD6933708126
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 29 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings