History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

United Reformed Church and Attached Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Oxted, Surrey

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2602 / 51°15'36"N

Longitude: -0.0034 / 0°0'12"W

OS Eastings: 539410

OS Northings: 153117

OS Grid: TQ394531

Mapcode National: GBR KK6.ZY8

Mapcode Global: VHGS6.WLK9

Entry Name: United Reformed Church and Attached Walls

Listing Date: 6 August 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388287

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476288

Location: Oxted, Tandridge, Surrey, RH8

County: Surrey

District: Tandridge

Civil Parish: Oxted

Built-Up Area: Oxted

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Oxted

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Tatsfield

Listing Text

TQ 35 SE OXTED BLUEHOUSE LANE

303/6/10045 United Reformed Church
and attached walls

II

Congregational, now United Reformed, Church and attached walls. 1934 -35. By Frederick Lawrence, builder E Martin & Son. Reddish-brown brick in Flemish Bond with small decorative brick and tile panels; plain tile roofs. Plan: cruciform plan (orientated north-south, ecclesiastical orientation used here), having nave with west entrance, transepts and central crossing tower; apsidal chancel with north-east vestry and small south-east chamber. In Byzantine style, having round-arched entrances and windows, the former with semi-circular brick steps, stepped surrounds and nail-studded board doors with decorative strap-hinges, the windows with decorative geometric leading; square angle butresses rising above the tall offset parapets which have chamfered coping; lancet windows and raised verges to gables. Square 2-stage tower with pyramidal roof surmounted by cross (of 1959) and one S-light window to each face of upper stage. Nave: west end: at centre, full-height canted bay (entrance lobby) with 3 tall narrow windows; flanking slightly-lower flat-roofed porches with archways to front and side; low brick walls projecting from sides and centre, terminating in square flower-holders, those at centre originally framing a lily pond; 3 windows to north and south sides. Similar fenestration and gable entrances to transepts. Chancel: at east end, canted bay window with 3 tall narrow windows, flanked by paired windows. Interior: round crossing-arches. Parquet floor; decorative marbling to chancel and entrance lobby. Roof has exposed rafters, purlins and ridge-pieces. Panelled, wooden, internal porches. Decorative organ pipes set in east wall of south transept. Matching panelled pews, font, altar and fronts to pulpit and reading-desk areas. Coloured glass to apse windows.

Listing NGR: TQ3941053117

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.