This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2359 / 53°14'9"N
Longitude: -0.5381 / 0°32'17"W
OS Eastings: 497671
OS Northings: 371980
OS Grid: SK976719
Mapcode National: GBR FMQ.2SX
Mapcode Global: WHGHZ.PXZP
Entry Name: County Assembly Rooms
Listing Date: 8 October 1953
Last Amended: 20 December 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388454
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485885
Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Minster
Built-Up Area: Lincoln
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Lincoln, St Mary Magdalene with St Paul in the Bail and St Michael on the Mount
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
1941-1/9/32 (East side)
County Assembly Rooms
(Formerly Listed as:
County Assembly Rooms, now in part a Masonic Temple. 1744,
with front addition and vestibule 1908 by William Watkins of
Lincoln. Brick and ashlar with stone dressings and hipped
pantile and slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: front, Baroque Revival style, has first floor band,
string course, moulded dentilled pediment and eaves,
rusticated quoins, parapet and ball finials. Central
rusticated square porch with cornice. Doorway with enriched
keystone and pair of wrought-iron gates, under a segmental
pediment containing a wreathed roundel. On either side, a
round-headed window in a moulded surround, with frieze and
segmental pediment. Above, a central Venetian window with
glazing bars. C18 hall has cogged eaves.
INTERIOR: C18 ballroom has full height Ionic pilasters,
modillion cornice and panelled plaster ceiling. In each bay, a
window with entablature, and above it, a smaller window with a
coved architrave. All the windows have glazing bars. West end
has a central pedimented doorcase, and the east end 2 similar
smaller doorcases, all with fielded panelled doors. South side
has a central fireplace with entablature and pedimented
overmantel, fronted by a life-size female figure. Opposite is
a semicircular recess with a round arch and keystone.
Adjoining service room to east has an elliptical arched
plaster vault. Other C18 rooms have friezes, modillion
cornices, C19 fireplaces and fielded panelled doors.
1908 addition has an elliptical vestibule with a saucer dome
on pendentives. Scrolled datestone over east door. Hall has
Ionic pilasters, enriched cross beamed ceiling and domed oval
skylight with enriched borders. Doorcases have bracketed
(Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire:
London: 1989-: 516; Curl JS: The Victorian Facade (W Watkins &
Son, Architects, Lincoln): Lincoln: 1990-: 46).
Listing NGR: SK9767171980
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings