History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

White Hart Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Lincoln, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2347 / 53°14'4"N

Longitude: -0.5382 / 0°32'17"W

OS Eastings: 497668

OS Northings: 371846

OS Grid: SK976718

Mapcode National: GBR FMQ.8R4

Mapcode Global: WHGHZ.PYXL

Entry Name: White Hart Hotel

Listing Date: 2 October 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388461

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485906

Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN2

County: Lincolnshire

District: Lincoln

Town: Lincoln

Electoral Ward/Division: Minster

Built-Up Area: Lincoln

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Lincoln, St Mary Magdalene with St Paul in the Bail and St Michael on the Mount

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Lincoln

Listing Text


LINCOLN

SK9771NE BAILGATE
1941-1/9/38 (East side)
02/10/69 White Hart Hotel

GV II

Hotel. Dated 1722, refronted 1844, with additions and
alterations c1900, 1938 and 1962, the latter by Watkins,
Coombes & Partners. Brick with channelled stucco ground floor,
stone dressings and plain tile roofs. Coped parapets.
EXTERIOR: Bailgate side has to left an C18 3-storey front, 3
bays, with a central panelled stucco doorcase under a flat
leaded canopy, flanked by single tripartite sashes. Above, 3
tall glazing bar sashes with bracketed pedimented surrounds,
the outer 2 with iron balconies. Above again, 3 smaller
glazing bar sashes.
c1900 addition, to right, 4 storeys plus attics, 4 bays, with
moulded cornice. The first and second floors have French
windows with balconies. The first floor openings have
segmental heads, those above, flat arches with keystones.
1962 addition, to right, 4 storeys, 2 bays, in a plainer
version of the same style.
North gable, C18, has on the first floor a pedimented sash
window with a balcony and a large bracket clock topped with a
figure of a hart.
Eastgate side has to right the former stables, 2 storeys, 7
bays, with moulded brick bands and eaves. To left, a canopied
doorway and 3 plain sashes, and above, 7 sashes, all segment
headed.
1938 addition, to left, Neo-Georgian style, brick, 3 storeys,
5 bays. Central basket arched carriage opening flanked by
single metal framed windows with rusticated surrounds. Above,
central pedimented window with balcony, flanked by 2 windows
with cornices and pediments. Above again, 5 segment headed
windows.
INTERIOR: refitted early and mid C20, with a set of early C20
revolving doors.
(Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire:
London: 1989-: 512).

Listing NGR: SK9766871846

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.