History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Chapels at the Old Cemetery

A Grade II Listed Building in Lincoln, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2182 / 53°13'5"N

Longitude: -0.5293 / 0°31'45"W

OS Eastings: 498296

OS Northings: 370020

OS Grid: SK982700

Mapcode National: GBR FMX.BYX

Mapcode Global: WHGJ5.VC4R

Plus Code: 9C5X6F9C+77

Entry Name: Former Chapels at the Old Cemetery

Listing Date: 15 August 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388477

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485922

Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN4

County: Lincolnshire

District: Lincoln

Town: Lincoln

Electoral Ward/Division: Park

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Lincoln St Botolph by Bargate

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Lincoln

Listing Text


LINCOLN

SK97SE CANWICK ROAD
1941-1/2/56 (East side)
15/08/73 Former chapels at the Old Cemetery

GV II

Pair of former chapels, now disused. 1856. By Michael Drury.
Coursed and squared rubble with ashlar dressings and plain
tile roof. Gothic Revival style with pointed arched windows
and Geometrical tracery.
EXTERIOR: chamfered and moulded plinth, sill band, moulded
eaves, coped gables with crosses and finials.
North side has a central gable with an archway and shafts,
flanked by single gabled buttresses. Beyond, single blocked
3-light windows.
To left, the octagonal east chapel has angle buttresses and 3
gables, each with a 4-light window. Roof gablets. Fleche
removed.
To right, west chapel with apsidal end and buttresses, 3 bays,
with six 2-light windows with hoodmoulds. In the north gable,
a 5-light window.
Square north-west tower, 3 stages, has to north a gabled
doorway with shafts. Above, a trefoiled vescia piscis and to
east, a 2-light window. Third stage has a foiled corbel table
and to north, a rose window. On the other sides, 3-light
windows. Spire removed.
INTERIOR: east chapel has an arch braced conical roof with
collars forming a corona. West chapel has a moulded stone arch
to the apse, and an arch braced double purlin roof. Both
chapels have foliage corbels.
The cemetery was laid out by Henry Goddard.
(Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire:
London: 1989-: 502-503).

Listing NGR: SK9829670020

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.