This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2337 / 53°14'1"N
Longitude: -0.538 / 0°32'16"W
OS Eastings: 497684
OS Northings: 371734
OS Grid: SK976717
Mapcode National: GBR FMQ.8TP
Mapcode Global: WHGHZ.QZ1C
Entry Name: Former Bluecoat School
Listing Date: 1 September 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388498
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485943
Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN2
Electoral Ward/Division: Minster
Built-Up Area: Lincoln
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Lincoln, St Mary Magdalene with St Paul in the Bail and St Michael on the Mount
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK9771NE CHRIST HOSPITAL TERRACE
1941-1/9/74 (North side)
01/09/68 Former Bluecoat School
Formerly known as: Leeke School CHRIST HOSPITAL TERRACE.
Also known as: Lincolnshire College of Art and Design CHRIST
Former Bluecoat school, later Lincolnshire College of Art &
Design, now part of DeMontfort University. 1784. By William
Lumby. East wing c1790. Mid C19 additions. Converted c1975.
Brick with stone dressings and slate roof with 2 brick stacks.
EXTERIOR: string course, eaves cornice, coped brick parapet.
South side has to left a symmetrical block, 3 storeys, 5 bays,
with square ground floor windows set in a blind arcade with
round arched stone heads. Central Doric doorcase with
pediment, 6-panel door and overlight, flanked by 2 glazing bar
sashes. Above, on each floor, 6 similar sashes, that above the
door with moulded surround and cornice. To right, a recessed
single bay with a glazing bar sash set in a former doorway,
with a bronze plaque in the tympanum inscribed "Founded by
Richard Smith MD June 1st 1612". Above, a sash on each floor.
Higher east wing has 2 glazing bar sashes and a door c1900.
Above, a central Venetian window with keystone. Above again, a
glazing bar fixed light with moulded surround.
To right again, a C19 addition, 2 storeys.
INTERIOR has a C19 cantilevered stone staircase with cast-iron
The Bluecoat School was a charity school for boys, and closed
(Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire:
London: 1989-: 519; Curl JS: The Victorian Facade (W Watkins &
Son, Architects, Lincoln): Lincoln: 1990-: 41-42).
Listing NGR: SK9768471734
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings