This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2142 / 53°12'51"N
Longitude: -0.5469 / 0°32'48"W
OS Eastings: 497129
OS Northings: 369559
OS Grid: SK971695
Mapcode National: GBR FMX.DK1
Mapcode Global: WHGJ5.KGSR
Plus Code: 9C5X6F73+M6
Entry Name: St Catherines Methodist Church and Adjoining Church Hall
Listing Date: 15 August 1973
Last Amended: 20 December 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388748
English Heritage Legacy ID: 486209
Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN5
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Lincoln
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Lincoln St Botolph by Bargate
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK96NE ST CATHERINE'S
1941-1/5/319 (West side)
15/08/73 St Catherine's Methodist Church and
adjoining church hall
(Formerly Listed as:
Former Methodist Church and
adjoining Church Hall)
Former Methodist church and adjoining church hall, now a DIY
warehouse. Church hall, formerly school, 1881 and church 1887,
by Charles Bell. Tower and spire 1908 by Withers & Meredith of
London. Grey brick, with red brick and stone dressings and
slate roofs. Early English style.
PLAN: nave with clerestory and aisles, chancel, transept,
south-east tower and spire, attached hall to south-west.
EXTERIOR: pointed arched windows. Chamfered plinth, moulded
sill band, dentilled eaves, coped gables.
Nave, 4 bays, has dividing pilasters, and 3 single lancets in
each bay on either side. West end has a stepped triple lancet.
North aisle, 5 bays, has buttresses and a 2-light window in
each bay and at the east end, all with linked hoodmoulds.
South aisle is similar, but with 4 bays.
Chancel, single bay, has to north 3 lancets in the clerestory.
Coped east gable has string courses and cross, and single
gabled buttress. Central roll moulded doorway with shafts and
hoodmould, flanked by single lancets. Above, 3 graduated
2-light windows, and above them, a smaller roll moulded
Transept, to south-west, has 2 single lancets and above them,
moulded round windows with hoodmoulds.
Square tower, 3 stages, has gabled angle buttresses to the 2
lower stages, chamfered and moulded string course, and
billeted corbel table. East side has a shouldered doorway with
moulded surround and enriched tympanum. Second stage has to
east and south, 2 lancets with linked hoodmoulds. Recessed
third stage has 2 cusped 2-light openings with shafts on each
side, and octagonal corner shafts topped with spire pinnacles.
Moulded blind arcaded octagonal drum, carrying a set back
octagonal spire with brick bands, 4 blank gabled lucarnes and
At the west end, a gabled corridor forming a link to the
church hall. Hall has buttresses and cogged impost band. Each
side has 3 round headed windows. South gable has a projecting
centre with angle buttresses and double sill band. Two 2-light
windows with cusped circles above, flanked by single lancets.
INTERIOR has 4-bay arcades with round granite piers, moulded
arches and hoodmoulds. Clerestory windows have hoodmoulds.
Arch braced principal rafter roof with wall shafts. West end
has gallery with raked seats. Aisles have braced lean-to
Chancel has moulded arch with hoodmould and granite shafts.
Traceried panelled dado and stained glass east window, 1888.
Panelled barrel vaulted wooden roof. Transept has principal
rafter roof, and hall has arch braced king post roof.
(Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire:
London: 1989-: 502).
Listing NGR: SK9712969559
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings