This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.86 / 51°51'36"N
Longitude: -2.236 / 2°14'9"W
OS Eastings: 383840
OS Northings: 217962
OS Grid: SO838179
Mapcode National: GBR 1L5.CH3
Mapcode Global: VH94C.6H7Z
Plus Code: 9C3VVQ67+2H
Entry Name: The Olympus Theatre
Listing Date: 9 October 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389103
English Heritage Legacy ID: 486586
Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Barton and Tredworth
Built-Up Area: Gloucester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: St James and All Saints, Gloucester
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8317 BARTON STREET
844-1/15/10002 (Southwest side)
The Olympus Theatre
Former Picturedrome cinema, now theatre. 1922-3 for E C J Palmer. Red brick on steel frame, the front block rendered. Roofs not seen. Frontage building with offices and foyer, and to rear a double-height auditorium with one balcony. Stage enlarged 1986 for the Gloucester Operatic and Dramatic Society, who have converted the adjoining shops into a bar, studio theatre and green room, none of which are of special interest.
Almost symmetrical facade of five bays, that to the right canted on the corner and retaining shop front under plaster swags. Giant pilasters divide the bays, and continue along side elevation of this front range. Upper storey has square leaded windows in plaster surrounds. Broad central bay has canopy supported on iron brackets, obscuring canted opening and sheltering two pairs of double doors which have been brought forward to create a small vestibule where tickets are now sold. Above a plain central block, originally containing the projection suite, carries a modern vertical sign.
Inside, tall, square inner foyer with decorated plaster ceiling surrounded by modillion cornice. Rectangular leaded casement windows to sides and giving borrowed light to circle foyer behind. Stairs on either side lead to circle. Auditorium retains exceptionally rich plasterwork to walls, ceiling and balcony front, although it has been truncated: a passage has been inserted at the back of the stalls, and a new proscenium has been inserted forward of the original, to create a suitable stage for opera and drama. Central circular ceiling rose with rich plaster decoration, with modillion cornice and giant pilasters. Plaster panels between these. Curved balcony front with shields and swags.
The Picturedrome was opened on 15 January 1923. It was remodelled and reopened as the Ritz in 1955, and was taken over by the Gloucester Operatic and Dramatic Society in 1986. Its rich plasterwork and intimate scale make it ideally suited to its present use, which has preserved most of its important features.
Listing NGR: SO8384017962
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings