This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8412 / 52°50'28"N
Longitude: -1.3391 / 1°20'20"W
OS Eastings: 444611
OS Northings: 327282
OS Grid: SK446272
Mapcode National: GBR 7HB.XZ6
Mapcode Global: WHDH8.DVK7
Plus Code: 9C4WRMR6+F8
Entry Name: Methodist Church
Listing Date: 16 January 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389142
English Heritage Legacy ID: 486736
Location: Castle Donington, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE74
Civil Parish: Castle Donington
Built-Up Area: Castle Donington
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Castle Donington St Edward the King and Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK44274527 MARKET PLACE
1286/9/10012 (South side)
16-JAN-01 Methodist Church
Methodist chapel. 1905 with minor C20 additions to rear. Red brick with ashlar dressings, slate roofs and terracotta ridge pieces. Ashlar plinth and angle buttresses with set-offs.
PLAN: Nave with aisles and transepts. Liturgical east end occupied by organ.
EXTERIOR: Main north front facing Market Place has pair of central doors in pointed arched doorways topped with plain gables. Double plank doors to each doorway with ornate iron hinges and stone tympanum above. Above is a large 7-light pointed arch window with major mullions, either side of 3 central lights, which are terminated above with foliate bosses. Hood moulded has central similar foliate boss. Gable above has ashlar bands with pinnacle topping right kneeler and cross finial topping apex of gable. To right a 2 storey square projection with 3 graduated lancets with linked ashlar hood moulds, and above 2 taller lancets. Return has segment headed doorway with hood and double plank doors, above a pair of lancets. This two-storey section has angle buttresses and is topped with battlements and pyramidal slate roof with lead finial. To left a square tower topped with a spire. Ground floor has segment headed former doorway in moulded ashlar surround with hood, and above a pair of lancets. Lean-to to left return has flat headed 3-light window with tracery, above a circular window with tracery and hood. Third stage of tower has single tall bell opening to each face with stone tracery and wooden louvres, top has octagonal stone pinnacles and pierced parapet with small central pinnacle. Octagonal stone spire with alternate lucarnes.
Side facades have two plain lancets to each bay on each floor with brcik buttresses between. Transepts have 3 lancets on the ground floor and 3 graduated lancets above.
INTERIOR: has entrance lobby with glazed screens. Fitted wooden pews and dado panelling to ground floor U-shaped gallery above supported on painted iron columns with foliate capitals. Galleries have panelled fronts decorated with quatrefoils and raking seating with pews. Timber roof with trusses supported on wooden corbels. Wooden altar-rail surrounds raised space for communion table, large central reading desk with pairs of stairs on either side. Behind is a choir gallery with pews and organ above. Windows throughout have Art Nouveau-style stained glass.
Included as a handsome and unusually complete example of an Edwardian Methodist church
Listing NGR: SK4461127282
Other nearby listed buildings