History in Structure

Post Office

A Grade II Listed Building in Stalybridge, Tameside

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.4835 / 53°29'0"N

Longitude: -2.0561 / 2°3'22"W

OS Eastings: 396372

OS Northings: 398527

OS Grid: SJ963985

Mapcode National: GBR GX25.N0

Mapcode Global: WHB9K.DP4W

Plus Code: 9C5VFWMV+9G

Entry Name: Post Office

Listing Date: 19 July 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1389352

English Heritage Legacy ID: 487994

ID on this website: 101389352

Location: Stalybridge, Tameside, Greater Manchester, SK15

County: Tameside

Electoral Ward/Division: Dukinfield Stalybridge

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Stalybridge

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Stalybridge Holy Trinity and Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Tagged with: Post office

Find accommodation in


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/11/2018


Post Office

(Formerly listed as Post Office, TRINITY ROAD)


Post Office. 1899-1900, by HM Office of Works. Late C20 alterations. Ashlar and red brick, with plain tile roofs. Renaissance Revival style. Two storeys plus basement and attics. Three bays. Office range to front, sorting office and service range to rear, L-plan. Plinth, sill band, intermediate and eaves cornices, coped gables and parapets. Main windows have stone mullions and transoms.

Front has slightly projecting central bay with three-light window flanked by single lights, with a small segment arched door below the right light. Between floors, an enriched cartouche reading POST OFFICE with the royal monogram. Above, similar fenestration, and above again, a three-light window in a formal surround with cornice, broken segmental pediment and finial.

Side bays have, to left, doorcase with pilasters, bracketed cornice and finials, containing glazing bar light in rusticated round arched surround, with an overlight. To right, round-arched doorway with hood on brackets, and C20 glazed doors and fanlight. Above, each bay has a cross-casement, and attics have shouldered pedimented dormers with two-light casements.

Left gable has three windows on each floor, those to the upper floors flanked by pilasters under a round pediment with the royal monogram.

At the rear, sorting office, single storey plus basement, eight windows, with lantern roof behind parapet, topped with a tent-roofed ventilator. Beyond, boiler house and service wing, single storey plus basement, two bays, with mainly segment arched windows and lantern roof.

INTERIOR: Front office has egg-and-dart cornices to ceiling and cross beams, and single pilasters. Late C20 counters and screen. First floor offices have cornices and original doors. Basement has strong room with steel door. Sorting office has steel truss roof with tie rods, and numerous wall ventilators.

Listing NGR: SJ9637298527

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.