This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.0377 / 55°2'15"N
Longitude: -1.4301 / 1°25'48"W
OS Eastings: 436516
OS Northings: 571617
OS Grid: NZ365716
Mapcode National: GBR LBG5.5X
Mapcode Global: WHD4L.0M8V
Entry Name: Cullercoats Radio Station Browns Point
Listing Date: 17 August 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389373
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488031
Location: North Tyneside, NE26
County: North Tyneside
Electoral Ward/Division: Whitley Bay
Built-Up Area: Whitley Bay
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Cullercoats St George
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
1022/0/10030 NORMA CRESCENT
Cullercoats Radio Station, Brown's Point
Wireless telegraphy station. 1906, by the De Forest Company for Marconi. Extended c1930 with a wireless station building for HM Coastguard. 1906 building of colourwashed brick with Welsh slate roof and cusped bargeboards. Rectangular plan. Segmental arches over two horned 6/6-pane sashes to S elevation and one to N elevation, to left of later C20 door. Entry in W gable wall.
Wireless station of c1930 immediately to W. Rendered brick walls and Westmorland slate roofs with stack to rear left. Planned as two end blocks, each with a hipped almost pyramidal roof, flanking a central spine wing. Single storey. W elevation has two 8/14-pane sashes in each end block, with transomed casement windows in the returns facing the central spine, which has main entrance set in hipped porch. Similar fenestration to other elevations; glazing-bar overlight over double doors in N elevation, projecting later C20 porch to S.
HISTORY: This is an exceptionally early and well-preserved example, grouping with a later and carefully-handled radio station, of a building associated with the initial development of radio telegraphy. It dates from 1906, thus marking the first phase of wireless telegraphy's major contribution towards the twentieth century's scientific-technical revolution. The early building survives in very close proximity to a larger station dating from c1930, that in its handling and sensitive use of materials - including Westmorland slate roofs - typifies the careful approach towards the architectural treatment of government-owned utility buildings of the inter-war period at its best.
Listing NGR: NZ3651671615
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings