This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6091 / 53°36'32"N
Longitude: -1.281 / 1°16'51"W
OS Eastings: 447668
OS Northings: 412742
OS Grid: SE476127
Mapcode National: GBR MVHP.GZ
Mapcode Global: WHDCM.9K72
Plus Code: 9C5WJP59+JH
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 14 August 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389377
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488035
Location: North Elmsall, Wakefield, WF9
Civil Parish: North Elmsall
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Badsworth St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
1497/0/10006 CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
Parish church. 1897. Designed by A H Hoole of London and paid for by Mrs Georgina Longueville-Jones. Nave and chancel under a single roof, west lean-to baptistery and porch, Lady Chapel to south, gabled vestry and organ wing to north with octagonal bell tower. Calverly stone with Ancaster stone dressings and plain tile roofs. Quoins, moulded plinth, cill band, moulded eaves cornice and coped gables with kneelers and cross finials.
Lean-to west porch has pointed arched south doorway with double plank doors with ornate iron hinges. West facade has 3 buttresses with single lancet windows between, and set back above a fine circular window with wheel tracery. East facade has a single lancet in unusual surround.
South facade has two 2-light plate tracery windows to the nave, each with a buttress to left. Lady Chapel has angle buttresses, graduated triple lancet window in west gable and a double and a triple lancet to the south, plus 2-light plate tracery window to east gable.
Chancel has canted apse to east with diagonal buttresses and single tall lancet windows; the central east face is blank.
North facade has vestry and organ projection to left has triple lancet window below and circular window above with wheel tracery. West side has single priest's doorway and octagonal stair tower. Tower has small lancets lighting stairs; top stage bell chamber has single pointed arched opening to each face topped with a stone spire. Nave has a single lancet and two 2-light pointed arch windows with plate tracery with buttresses between.
INTERIOR has fine carved reredos with painted and gilded plaster figures. Alabaster altar. Original wooden altar rail, choir stalls, organ case, pulpit and pews. Elaborate wooden rood screen and plainer side screens. South Lady Chapel has stone vault. Marble bust of patron, Mrs Longueville-Jones, stands on marble column in vestry.
Listing NGR: SE4766812738
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings