History in Structure

Paint Stores and Electroplating Shop

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashford, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1372 / 51°8'13"N

Longitude: 0.8838 / 0°53'1"E

OS Eastings: 601840

OS Northings: 141498

OS Grid: TR018414

Mapcode National: GBR SY7.N7Z

Mapcode Global: VHKKN.8PL3

Plus Code: 9F324VPM+VG

Entry Name: Paint Stores and Electroplating Shop

Listing Date: 18 September 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1389436

English Heritage Legacy ID: 488095

ID on this website: 101389436

Location: New Town, Ashford, Kent, TN24

County: Kent

District: Ashford

Electoral Ward/Division: Aylesford Green

Parish: South Willesborough & Newtown

Built-Up Area: Ashford (Ashford)

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in
Ashford

Description


750/0/10035 NEWTOWN ROAD
18-SEP-01 Paint Stores and electroplating shop
at Newtown Railway Works

GV II

Paint store, later electroplating shop. c1865, built for the South Eastern Railway. Built of yellow brick with a Welsh slate roof with central glazed louvre. This is a single storey building approximately 12.2m x 8.9m divided into two units by a brick party wall. The north elevation originally had four tall, round, rubbed-brick headed windows set in rectangular recesses; the first and third from the left of these are now doors. The tall round-headed windows set in rectangular headed recesses on the south elevation are blocked, as are the three tall arches with no recesses on the east and west elevations. The west elevation has a later lean-to added. Plain roof with central raised glazed louvre on the ridge.
Interior: This was not seen at inspection (July 1998) but is reported to have a central dividing wall and iron roof trusses.
History: This building appears first on the OS map of 1871 where it is marked as a paint store, but was latterly used as an electroplating shop. It dates probably from the 1860s. The building was semi-fireproof, built as being suitable for storing combustible and gaseous materials such as paint. This is the only early building surviving on the Ashford works site with fire resistant features. The metal trusses are built up from cast iron struts and wrought iron plates, some of the joints are wedged rather than bolted and such construction would point to an early date.
Reason for listing: Included for its group value at the centre of the early railway works layout and for its special design features as a paint store within the locomotive establishment. Reference: RCHME, The Railway Works, Ashford, Kent, 1990.

Listing NGR: TR0184041498

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.