History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Eight Gas Street Lamps in the Churchyard of the Priory Church of St Mary and St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Malvern, Worcestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.111 / 52°6'39"N

Longitude: -2.3282 / 2°19'41"W

OS Eastings: 377622

OS Northings: 245904

OS Grid: SO776459

Mapcode National: GBR 0FN.L6S

Mapcode Global: VH934.L6KJ

Plus Code: 9C4V4M6C+CP

Entry Name: Eight Gas Street Lamps in the Churchyard of the Priory Church of St Mary and St Michael

Listing Date: 7 November 2001

Last Amended: 28 September 2011

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1389554

English Heritage Legacy ID: 488240

Location: Malvern, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR14

County: Worcestershire

Civil Parish: Malvern

Built-Up Area: Great Malvern

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Great Malvern

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Great Malvern

Summary


Eight gas street lamps from the mid to late-C19.

Description

Eight gas street lamps within the churchyard, of various designs all with copper lanterns. Mid to late C19. Six have cast-iron columns. Four made by the Horsley Co. of Tipton have octagonal columns with rings, octagonal bases and caps, and double ladder rests. One by Dutton & Co. of Worcester, has a barley-sugar twist column and a missing ladder rest. One made by Hamilton Woods & Co. of Manchester has a fluted octagonal column and slender ladder rests. Two further gas lamps sit atop the sandstone piers opposite the north entrance to the priory. They have four curved iron brackets with leaf decoration. All are fitted with Sugg Windsor lanterns and are complete and working.

History

Modern street lighting, in the form of gas lamps, arrived in England at Pall Mall, London in the early C19. There followed a proliferation of cast-iron gas lamp posts in a prodigious range of designs, some highly ornamental.

The first gas works in Malvern opened in 1856 and in 1909, it was reported by the town surveyor and engineer, Mr W. Osborne Thorpe, that Malvern was lit solely by 1,120 gas lamps all fitted with incandescent burners. There are historical references to ‘a George Hammons being paid 14/- per week to operate the lamps twice a day’.

Reasons for Listing

Architectural interest: the lively and varied design of the gas lamps with features including barley sugar twist and fluting;
Intactness: they survive largely intact and in their original position as working gas lamps;
Group value: part of an extensive group of gas street lamps in Malvern, many of which are listed.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.