This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1186 / 50°7'6"N
Longitude: -5.5375 / 5°32'15"W
OS Eastings: 147216
OS Northings: 30270
OS Grid: SW472302
Mapcode National: GBR DXQC.D9Q
Mapcode Global: VH05H.Y8WY
Plus Code: 9C2P4F96+CX
Entry Name: 27b, Market Place
Listing Date: 12 December 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389614
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488302
Location: Penzance, Cornwall, TR18
Civil Parish: Penzance
Built-Up Area: Penzance
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Penzance St Mary the Virgin with St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Truro
866/0/10021 MARKET PLACE
Shop premises. 1905; by Oliver Caldwell of Penzance; later C20 alterations. Granite with red and yellow terracotta dressings. Roof concealed behind parapet.
PLAN: Ground floor shop with chambers above.
Edwardian Free Renaissance style.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 2-bay north front. Ground floor later C20 shop front with large fascia board. First and second floors have paired red terracotta giant Ionic pilasters with rustication, masks and festoons, flanking tall recessed 2-storey canted bays in yellow terracotta with Ipswich mullion windows and simulated tile-hanging; the bays break the entablature and set back above each bay there is a small gable with a keyed oculus and a festoon below, the curved parapets between with balustrades behind. Left corner is curved and has narrow curved bay and flanking giant pilasters. Right-hand [W] return is of two bays, similarly, but less ornately, detailed.
INTERIOR: Ground floor shop has suspended ceiling. Floors above not inspected.
A good example of an Edwardian terracotta commercial building.
Other nearby listed buildings