This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2204 / 51°13'13"N
Longitude: 0.5494 / 0°32'57"E
OS Eastings: 578129
OS Northings: 149890
OS Grid: TQ781498
Mapcode National: GBR PRV.FQ3
Mapcode Global: VHJMM.GLS9
Plus Code: 9F326GCX+5Q
Entry Name: Wierton Place
Listing Date: 10 January 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389637
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488327
Location: Boughton Monchelsea, Maidstone, Kent, ME17
Civil Parish: Boughton Monchelsea
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Tagged with: Building
1415/0/10004 WIERTON ROAD
10-JAN-02 Wierton Place
Large house, later club and residence. Circa 1760 house, according to Hasted, the County Historian, but core substantially altered and extended in Gothic style circa 1857 with a few external modifications but a complete internal refurbishment of circa 1899 for the Kleinwort banking family. A few minor late C20 alterations. The late C20 garage and link block to west is not of special interest. Built of red brick in Flemish bond with black brick headers, sandstone dressings and on Kentish ragstone plinth to rear. Tiled roof with brick chimneystacks, including four tall clustered brick stacks to the main part. Two or three storeys and basement with irregular fenestration, mainly sashes with vertical glazing bars only but also some mullioned or mullioned and transomed windows with some leaded lights.
EXTERIOR: Entrance front to north is of two storeys and basement with six irregularly spaced windows. Four gables with moulded sandstone coping. First floor has five sashes with vertical glazing bars only but over the porch a late C19 two tier four-light window with leaded lights and panel with strapwork decoration. Ground floor has two windows partially obscured by c1900 corridor extensions of one storey, to the right with single light and four-light mullioned window with leaded lights and to left two mullioned windows in angle leading to large one storey flat-roofed structure, originally Billiard Room and Winter Garden. Large central porch has central gable with strapwork motif, angled buttresses, sidelights, four-centred arch with trefoil design to spandrels and C20 half-glazed door. To the west is the three storey service wing with a set back two tier three-light window and to right a large gable with kneelers with four-light mullioned and transomed window to the upper floors and arched opening to the ground floor. Attached to left side of window at right angles is a brick and sandstone carriage arch with crenellated parapet, stone finial with metal decoration, stone shield with chevron, compasses and female head above. East front of main house is of two storeys and basement with three gables, the left one pierced by an external chimneystack, the right side with sandstone panel with shield in place of a first floor window . The central gable is partly obscured by a two storey canted bay with crenellated parapet. This has sashes with vertical glazing bars to First Floor Sitting Room and three tier angled casement window to ground floor Large Drawing Room. South front of the former Winter Garden has a five-light mullioned and transomed window. South or garden front to main house is of two storeys and basement with four windows. Three gables with moulded sandstone coping and blank shields. Moulded band between floors. First floor has left side triple window with vertical glazing bars only and blindbox and three similar single light windows. Ground floor has left side three-light square bay to Hall Lounge and two sashes to right with blindboxes under dripmould to Small Drawing Room. Central gabled porch with four-centred arch. To west is a set back section of two storeys with three gables with kneelers, three sashes with vertical glazing bars only and half-glazed door. To the extreme west is the three storey service wing with large gable with kneelers, mullioned and transomed windows to the upper floors and mullioned window to the ground floor. West elevation service wing is of three storeys with projecting central gable with kneelers, with two mullioned and transomed windows, the first floor windows with blindboxes, right side mullioned and transomed window and left side triple mullioned window with blindbox to first floor only under penticed roof.
INTERIOR: Circa 1899 comprehensive refurbishment for Kleinwort family variously in Jacobean, early C18 and Adam styles. Entrance hall retains elaborate wooden inner double doors with decorative metal grille. Former Billiard Room retains Jacobean style north wall with full-height panelling, overmantel with pilasters and carved wooden screen. The former Music Room, now bar, also has a Jacobean overmantel with male grotesque masks, grey marble fireplace, dado panelling and plastered cornice. The Hall Lounge is in Jacobean style with a strapwork design plastered ceiling with pendants, oak overmantel to fireplace dated 1899 with the letter K (for Kleinwort) strapwork motifs, half-columns and pilasters, full-height panelling and carved screen to hall. There are a number of Jacobean style oak doors but some have mahogany C18 style backs. The main staircase is in early C18 style with elaborate cast iron scrollwork balusters, mahogany handrail with column newel and full-height panelling with dado rail. The northern part of the hall has similar panelling with a plastered decoration of swags and musical instruments above the door to the present bar, suggesting this was originally a Music Room. There are two drawing rooms in Adam style with interconnecting doors for entertaining. The Small Drawing Room has a plastered ceiling with oval design with swags and figurative medallions, original window surrounds with wooden shutters, wooden fireplace with pilasters, swags and grey marble fireplace and double painted wooden doors with swag and urn decoration. The adjoining Large Drawing Room has a similar larger plastered ceiling with swags, cornice with wheat ear drops, wooden fireplace with pilasters, panel of crossed fasces and arrow, grey marble fireplace and interconnecting doors. First floor has a corridor with a painted fretted and panelled screen to north forming a sitting area and C18 style panelling with dado rails and elaborate early C18 style architraves and six-panelled doors. Lincrusta ceiling. Some bedrooms have fireplaces with bolection-moulding and eared architraves. Upstairs Sitting Room in Adam style with cornice with Greek key design, roses and acanthus leaves, dado panelling and overmantel with pilasters, swags and oval figurative medallion.
HISTORY: According to Hasted's "History of Kent" , Wierton Place was built c1760 replacing an earlier house situated a little to the north. The Kleinwort banking family lived here between 1899 and 1943. It was occupied by the army during the Second World War. A grandson of Thomas Cook lived here afterwards.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings