This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.9512 / 53°57'4"N
Longitude: -1.0871 / 1°5'13"W
OS Eastings: 460005
OS Northings: 450953
OS Grid: SE600509
Mapcode National: GBR NQVR.FB
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.8YK9
Entry Name: The Church of St Clement
Listing Date: 17 October 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389686
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488394
Location: York, YO23
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: York St Clement with St Mary, Bishophill Senior
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 65 SW SCARCROFT ROAD
1112-1/2/10015 (North side)
17-OCT-00 The Church of St Clement
Church. 1872-74, with vestry added 1880. Designed by J B & W Atkinson. Red brick with blue brick banding , ashlar dressings and steep slate roofs with ashlar coped gables and kneelers. Chamfered ashlar plinth. Angle buttresses with ashlar set-offs, dentilated brick cornice.
Nave and chancel under continuous roof, side aisles and apsidal east end.
West front has tall 4-light pointed arch window with reticulated tracery, above three small graduated lancets light the roof space. Either side aisles have single small lancets. North corner of gable topped with projecting octagonal bellcote with short slated octagonal spire.
South fa?ade has projecting gabled porch to left with double plank doors, ornate iron hinges in moulded and banded pointed arch. To right a single lancet, then three 2-light pointed arch windows an priests doorway with a shouldered hood under a pointed arch and beyond a further lancet, all the windows have reticulated tracery. Above clerestorey has four sets of triple lancets and to the east a pair of lancets with a projecting chimney between.
At east end of south aisle slightly later vestry with apsidal east end 2-light and 3-light ashlar lancets linked by triple blue bands.
East end has a central tall 3-light pointed arch window flanked by similar 2-light windows all with reticulated tracery.
North fa?ade has similar window arrangement to south though with projecting gabled porch to right.
INTERIOR has brick arcades with 5 pointed arches each supported on circular stone piers with elaborate stone capitals, responds have pairs of smaller columns at either end. Circular stone font supported on 4 circular columns. Elaborate octagonal stone pulpit with traceried fronts. Tiled floor, wooden roof wooden pews. Reredos by Mr Thrupp in frame by G W Milburn. Choir stalls and screen by Robert 'Mousey' Thompson mid C20. Stained glass east window 1875 by Capronnier.
This church also contains various fittings from St Mary Bishophill Senior, demolished 1963, including monuments, charity boards and two mayoral boards recording the mayoralty of the architect John Carr of York dated 1770 and 1785.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings