This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1965 / 52°11'47"N
Longitude: -2.2203 / 2°13'13"W
OS Eastings: 385037
OS Northings: 255386
OS Grid: SO850553
Mapcode National: GBR 1G4.9GN
Mapcode Global: VH92T.G1KZ
Plus Code: 9C4V5QWH+JV
Entry Name: Baptist Church
Listing Date: 18 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390142
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489112
Location: Arboretum, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Arboretum
Built-Up Area: Worcester
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Worcester St George with St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO8555SW SANSOME WALK
620-1/13/503 (East side)
18/08/99 Baptist Church
Baptist Church. Dated 1863; with later additions and alterations.
Built by Pritchett and Son of Darlington. Coursed sandstone with
sandstone ashlar quoins and architraves, ashlar spire, slate
PLAN AND EXTERIOR: 5-bay nave with galleried transepts and
single-bay chancel and organ galleries above vestries, 2-stage
south-west tower over porch. Off-set buttresses to east and west
ends. Entrances to west end: double glazed doors in
pointed-arched surround; to aisles at either side are pointed
plank doors with single cusped light over; quatrefoil in gable.
5-light west window with Decorated-type tracery. Aisles have
mainly 2-cusped-light windows with quatrefoils to heads and
transoms. Transepts have two single-light windows to lower stage
and 4-light windows to upper stage. The east end has two single
lights and rose window to apex. Tower has battered sides to lower
stage and quatrefoil window; and pair of belfry openings with
Decorated-type tracery to each side of upper stage. Octagonal
spire with bands of ornament.
All openings have double-chamfered surrounds with hoodmoulds and
arch over of alternate dressed and undressed voussoirs;
hoodmoulds to west end have face stops.
INTERIOR: aisles have slender cast-iron pilasters with foliate
caps and pointed-arched timber arcade. Central pulpit to east
end. Organ loft to east and galleries to west and to transepts
have blind arcades to balustrades. Roof is ribbed and panelled.
HISTORICAL NOTE: to the east end a foundation stone bears the
nscription: 'This stone was laid by Mrs E B Evans of Whitbourne
Hall July 28 1863'.
A fine example of a robust Gothic Revival exterior in the context
of a nonconformist church design of the C19, with an unusually
well-designed interior which in its planning is otherwise
conventional for its type and period. (Littlebury: Directory for
the County of Worcester: 1873-; Buildings of England: Pevsner N:
Worcestershire: Harmondsworth: 1968-1985: 322; Royal Commission
on the Historical Monuments of England: Nonconformist Chapels &
Meeting Houses(Hfds., Worcs. & Warwicks.: 1986-: 256).
Other nearby listed buildings