This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2005 / 52°12'1"N
Longitude: -2.2247 / 2°13'28"W
OS Eastings: 384738
OS Northings: 255833
OS Grid: SO847558
Mapcode National: GBR 1G4.2C0
Mapcode Global: VH92M.DY7G
Plus Code: 9C4V6Q2G+64
Entry Name: Worcester Royal Grammar School Eld Hall, Main Building, Attached Gates and Gate Piers
Listing Date: 19 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390244
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489215
Location: Arboretum, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Arboretum
Built-Up Area: Worcester
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Worcester St George with St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
Tagged with: Architectural structure
SO4555NE UPPER TYTHING
620-1/8/657 (East side)
19/01/89 Worcester Royal Grammar
School Eld Hall, Main
Building, attached gates
and gate piers
Worcester Royal Grammar School. Eld Hall to left (north) is
1868 by A.E. Perkins, the attached wing to the south is 1895
by A. Hill Parker, architect of Worcester, (ref. also Perrins
Hall (qv) and buildings for the King's School). Red brick with
stone dressings. Plain clay tile roofs. Lantern of timber and
lead to ridge of Eld Hall.
Eld Hall: formerly open hall, first-floor inserted c1981
(prior to listing in 1989). 3-window range. Stone dressings
include quoins, plinth and sill band, window surrounds,
cornice, copings with urns to curvilinear gables, plaque with
niche above containing statue to central gable of facade;
coat-of-arms over door. Windows are 3-light mullion and
transom to full height, curved head to each light, lattice
glazing; all the windows are surmounted by curvilinear gables,
those to the left and right having slit windows; a niche in
the central gable contains a statue of Elizabeth I attributed
to Perkins and executed by Boulton. The centre window and
gable break forward slightly, defined by quoins. Octagonal
lantern with diamond leaded lights surmounted by spirelet with
ornate finial to centre of main ridge. Large 5-light
perpendicular-style window to right-return; rectangular
louvered opening above. The left-return is similar but is
partially concealed by a set-back, single-storey entrance
range with gabled porch of matching design to the gables over
the hall windows. Arch-headed, 15-panel, double-leaf doors;
carved Royal coat-of-arms above; 3-light window to left.
Southern Wing: Attached to the Eld Hall by a set-back link
containing entrance and in similar style and materials.
Longitudinal axis of building runs at right-angles to the
street. 2 storeys. 1 first-floor window. Stone detailing
includes plinth capping; window surrounds; head band to
ground-floor window and sill-band to first-floor window and 3
carved shields between; copings and 2 bands to gable. 3-light
mullion and transom window with sidelights to each floor;
centre ground-floor window forms shallow bay, brickwork to
either side continues up to form 2
piers with their upper sections in stone; each light to the
first-floor windows have pointed arch heads, segmental pointed
arch over the centre 3 lights; horizontal glazing bars.
Polygonal-ended stair turret to left with small 2-light
mullion window on ground-floor and tall, 2-light mullion and
transom window above. Rising sills to 3-light mullion and
transom window to left-return echo staircase within.
Right-return has central full-height bay capped by a large
parapeted gable. Extensions to the rear of both buildings are
INTERIOR: The Eld Hall retains some original features
including a fireplace, panelling and exposed hammer-beam roof.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: To the extreme left of the group are a
pair of ornate wrought-iron gates hung on polygonal stone
piers terminated by a moulded cornice, domed caps and finials;
linked to the entrance range of the Eld Hall by 2m. length of
2m. high brick wall with stone coping. The gates and piers
have been relocated from their original location in front of
the entrance probably as a result of road widening in the
first half of the C20.
NOTE: The Eld Hall is so named as a tribute to Reverend F.J.
Eld, headmaster from 1860-92.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Worcestershire:
Harmondsworth: 1968-1985: 325; Anon.: A Short History of the
Royal Grammar School: 1985-).
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings