This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.442 / 51°26'31"N
Longitude: -0.7849 / 0°47'5"W
OS Eastings: 484547
OS Northings: 172149
OS Grid: SU845721
Mapcode National: GBR D7F.DDW
Mapcode Global: VHDX3.B0XV
Plus Code: 9C3XC6R8+R2
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390256
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489238
Location: Binfield, Bracknell Forest, RG42
County: Bracknell Forest
Civil Parish: Binfield
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Binfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
CHURCH HILL (north east side)
Church of All Saints
Parish church. C14, altered C15, restored and north aisle added in 1847; vestry, south arcade and south chapel re-built in 1859, by Benjamin Ferry.
MATERIALS: part conglomerate (Ferricrete), part flint and Bath stone; old tile gable roofs, nave is the highest.
PLAN: four-bay nave with west tower and south porch, three-bay chancel with south Lady Chapel and north aisle and vestry.
EXTERIOR: tower: square plan. Two stages. Conglomerate with freestone quoins and two-stage weathered diagonal buttresses at western angles. Moulded strings at each stage; embattled parapet. Stair turret with ornate ogee top added 1862, on north side. C19 window with two trefoiled lights under pointed arch on west; similar window of single-light breaking string between two stages on first storey on the south side. Bell chamber is lit on all faces by C14 windows of two trefoiled lights under two-centred arches of two hollow orders. Clock face on south side.
North aisle: three, two-light C19 windows with reticulated tracery, C19 doorway with pointed arch between two westernmost windows. Similar window on west front with small rose window above.
South aisle: two two-light restored windows with cinquefoiled lights and pointed-arched heads with south porch between.
Timber framed open porch is late C14; each side has eight feathered and traceried bays. Roof has collar purlin, collars are arch-braced and there are two large tie-beams at each end with redundant crown posts. Doorway partly restored, has moulded label and of two continuous orders, inner hollow chamfered, with square flowers in pointed head and upper part of jambs; outer moulded with double ogee.
South chapel: two windows, each of two cinquefoiled lights, both restored; east window C15 of three cinquefoiled lights with tracery under depressed head.
Chancel: C19 east and south fronts similar but of two-lights.
INTERIOR: four-bay nave. South arcade has octagonal pillars with moulded capitals and hollow chamfered bases; arches pointed and of two double ogee orders. North arcade similar. Roof late C14, five-bays with chamfered arch-braced collars, clasped purlins, arched windbraces and large plain tie beams. Chancel has C14 barrel shaped roof and arcade of three-bays to south chapel, easternmost bay is C19; two original arches are of two orders; octagonal columns with bead-moulded abaci. Three-bay restored north arcade opens into C19 chancel aisle.
FITTINGS: pulpit dated 1628, is carved and panelled. Sounding board had turned pendants and open ornament over. On north side of pulpit is elaborate wrought-iron sword-stand with leaf and grape ornament, and arms of the Ferriers Company of London. Plain font with old cylindrical bowl on C19 octagonal stem.
STAINED GLASS: south-east window in south chapel has C15 glass, representing figures of St George with the dragon, St John the Divine with the poisoned cup, St Peter, St Paul, an angel and the Blessed Virgin. Glass in the west window of the south aisle is 1863 by O'Connor.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings