This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5718 / 51°34'18"N
Longitude: -2.2128 / 2°12'45"W
OS Eastings: 385350
OS Northings: 185906
OS Grid: ST853859
Mapcode National: GBR 1PP.KC1
Mapcode Global: VH95Q.LRKD
Entry Name: Sherston Church of England School
Listing Date: 11 July 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390514
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490433
Location: Sherston, Wiltshire, SN16
Civil Parish: Sherston
Built-Up Area: Sherston
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Sherston Magna
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
1359/0/10030 Sherston Church of England School
National School. 1845; extended 1895. Coursed limestone with freestone dressings. Stone tile roof with gabled ends. Gable-end, axial and lateral stone stacks with diagonally-set shafts.
PLAN: Schoolrooms on left with boys' and girls' entrance porches at front and classroom wing at rear, and with integral master's house on right; on right [south] side of house is 1895 extension in form of a cross-wing.
Tudor Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: 1 storey school and 1 storey and attic master's house. School on left with 3-light stone mullion window at centre and large gabled porches to left and right with chamfered 4-centred arch doorways, moulded stone coping, kneelers, obelisk finials and inscriptions: National School, Established 1845; stone bellcote over left [north] gable end with arched opening and finial, over pair of large 2-light mullion-transom windows in north gable end; master's house projecting on right with gable on left and gabled dormer on right, 2-window range, 2-light stone mullion windows with hoodmoulds. 1895 extension on right with gable-end to front with large stone mullion-transom window with side-lights and date and oculus in gable above. Rear [east] 1845 school has gable with large 3-light stone mullion-transom window and gabled wing on right; 1895 extension on left has large stone mullion-transom window with side-lights, oculus in gable and lateral stack at side with weathered set-offs; late C20 single storey extensions with flat roofs in the angles of the rear wings.
INTERIOR: Classrooms, formerly open to roofs, have inserted suspended ceilings.
A largely intact village National School with a later Victorian extension, having important townscape vale in the village centre.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings