This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8318 / 54°49'54"N
Longitude: -2.982 / 2°58'55"W
OS Eastings: 337016
OS Northings: 548994
OS Grid: NY370489
Mapcode National: GBR 7DMK.6Q
Mapcode Global: WH808.5T87
Entry Name: Forge Green (Former Workhouse)
Listing Date: 11 July 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390515
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490434
Location: Dalston, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA5
Civil Parish: Dalston
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dalston St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
128/0/10008 Forge Green (former workhouse)
Former workhouse, now dwellings and offices with attached outbuildings boundary walls and gate piers. c.1828, altered mid-C19 for Dalston Parish. Built to the designs of Thomas Martin of Dalston. Coursed squared red sandstone with quoins, painted stone dressings, ridge and gable chimneys and a Westmorland slate roof covering.
PLAN: Irregular courtyard plan, with L-shaped range to centre, enclosed garden to the rear and entrance courtyard enclosed by tall perimeter wall which supports an attached outbuilding.
EXTERIOR: Front (north) elevation of 2 storeys, 4 bays, with a single bay advanced wing to the right-hand end. Central doorway with quoined surround and C20 door, with flanking 2 over 2 pane sash windows in flush painted surrounds. Above, 3 similar windows. Right-hand end bay with 2-light first floor casement window above blocked opening, matching the arrangement to the front of the advanced wing which has a doorway with a painted surround below an upper floor casement. Rear elevation facing enclosed garden of 6 bays, with 4 ground floor windows all 2 over 2 pane sashes, 6 upper floor windows of matching pattern and a central doorway with C20 multi-pane glazed door. Attached flanking wall incorporating doorway extends westwards to join perimeter wall that encloses the former workhouse site on the west, north and east sides. It extends approx. 29 metres on the east side, and 12 metres in either direction of the entrance on the north side. The wall is built of coursed sandstone, with south wall with shallow pitched copings. The gate piers are square on plan, with shallow pyramidal caps. To the right of the entrance, a long single storeyed outbuilding is built on the inner side of the wall. From the north-west corner, the wall extends approx. 12 metres on the west side of the yard and incorporates a pair of earth closets which extend beyond the wall.
INTERIOR: Not inspected
HISTORY: The Dalston Workhouse was built on land granted for the purpose in 1803, when the common land of the village was enclosed. The complex was built by Henry Tiffen of Buckabank for the cost of o400. It appears to have had a short life as a workhouse, with only 17 inmates in 1828, and in 1838, this responsibility of the parish was taken over by the Carlisle Union.
A small-scale, purpose-built parish workhouse of 1828, predating the passing of the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, and the subsequent development of large scale institutions throughout England
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings