This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6974 / 52°41'50"N
Longitude: 1.1426 / 1°8'33"E
OS Eastings: 612450
OS Northings: 315709
OS Grid: TG124157
Mapcode National: GBR TCY.V0L
Mapcode Global: WHLS1.JGBH
Entry Name: Garden Walls Including Owl House at Home Farm, Morton Hall Estate
Listing Date: 18 August 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390577
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490525
Location: Morton on the Hill, Broadland, Norfolk, NR9
Civil Parish: Morton on the Hill
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Weston Longville with Moreton-on-the-Hill
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
MORTON ON THE HILL
376/0/10001 GARDEN WALLS INCLUDING OWL HOUSE AT HO
18-AUG-03 ME FARM, MORTON HALL ESTATE
Garden walls and owl house. c. 1830. Red brick laid in Flemish bond.
PLAN: 2 lengths of wall remain meeting at a corner where there is an owl house.
EXTERIOR: tall south and west walls with flat stone capping, meeting at a right angle. Burnt headers used randomly. The south wall with a doorway under a semi-circular head. The outside face of both walls with brick piers at intervals.
At the corner of the walls is a circular brick owl house carried on a sandstone corbel to the inner angle and brick corbelling to the outer angle. 2 storeys terminating in flat brick coping. 2 square openings face north, each formerly leading to a chamber.
INTERIOR: both stages with brick vanes acting as roosts, otherwise plain.
The building has been identified as a purpose-built owl house, and an otherwise unknown building type. Owl houses are known to have been built on farms, but the favoured formula was to incorporate them in gable ends of barns, or even just to have an owl hole by which the birds could enter and exit, the purpose being control of vermin. This extremely unusual two-stage structure must be presumed to have been rare even when built.
Information from Norfolk Archaeological Unit.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings