History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bedford Iron Foundry

A Grade II Listed Building in Tavistock, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.553 / 50°33'10"N

Longitude: -4.148 / 4°8'52"W

OS Eastings: 247932

OS Northings: 74786

OS Grid: SX479747

Mapcode National: GBR NW.GGCP

Mapcode Global: FRA 276L.V3W

Entry Name: Bedford Iron Foundry

Listing Date: 12 February 2004

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1390645

English Heritage Legacy ID: 490994

Location: Tavistock, West Devon, Devon, PL19

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Tavistock

Built-Up Area: Tavistock

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Tavistock

Listing Text

TAVISTOCK

78/0/10024 BANNAWELL STREET
12-FEB-04 Bedford Iron Foundry

II
Iron foundry. Circa 1848; probably on the site of an earlier foundry. Painted stone rubble. Slate roof with gabled ends and ridge ventilator. Truncated gable-end stacks and small brick axial stack.
PLAN: Rectangular on plan; the lower south range is narrower.
EXTERIOR: 1 and 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4:8 bay west front. Left four bays project, vehicular entrance on left, blocked segmental arch carriageway at centre and two narrow round arch windows on right. Eight bays on right recessed under deep eaves ventilator, with four round arch windows and a taking-in door on right above three vehicular entrances, large blocked entrance on left and two tall round arch windows at centre. The windows have multi-pane cast-iron frames with Gothic tracery at top. Higher ground level at back with wide entrance at centre.
INTERIOR: Inserted floors. Exposed tie-beam and queen-strut roof trusses.
NOTE: The Bedford Iron Foundry was leased from the Duke of Bedford by Thomas Nicholls, John Williams and Joseph Matthews in 1848. It was the most important iron foundry in Devon in the mid C19 and made machinery for mines in Devon, Cornwall and abroad.
SOURCES: [1] Barton, D.B. [1965] The Cornish Beam Engine [Truro 1969 edition], pp 124,167 and 168. [2] Woodcock, G. Tavistock Yesterdays, vol.10, pp 55-59.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.