History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Grange

A Grade II Listed Building in Westbury, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6854 / 52°41'7"N

Longitude: -2.8953 / 2°53'42"W

OS Eastings: 339578

OS Northings: 310126

OS Grid: SJ395101

Mapcode National: GBR BB.3XKF

Mapcode Global: WH8BR.HRJM

Plus Code: 9C4VM4P3+5V

Entry Name: The Grange

Listing Date: 20 November 2003

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1390741

English Heritage Legacy ID: 491295

Location: Westbury, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Westbury

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Yockleton

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Cardeston

Description

WESTBURY

1101/0/10011 YOCKLETON
20-NOV-03 The Grange

GV II
Rectory, now rest home. 1861 by Edward Haycock, Jnr. of Shrewsbury. Red brick with yellow sandstone ashlar dressings and blue and yellow brick enrichments. Banded plain tile roof with ridge tiles.
EXTERIOR: SOUTHWEST elevation with pair of gables that have stepped corbelled eaves with blue and yellow bricks matching the banding and lintels. To first floor, 2-light windows to left and right with quoined stone surrounds, decorative heads and central colonette mullion, all under polychrome lintels; central window of single light in stone surround. To ground floor, tall 2-light window to left beneath deep gauged polychome lintel; similar lintel to right but window now blocked. Recessed central behind stone lintel with wooden overlight in scalopped frame. Corbelled ridge stack with blue brick detail. SOUTHEAST elevation with tall canted bay to left, the 5 windows in stone surrounds with tapered heads and colonette mullions. Above this, a pair of lights with cusped heads and colonette mullions in stone surround, similar window to central bay where at ground floor a squared pair of lights. Bay to right has slightly advanced gable with similar eaves details to southest front, 2 light window at first floor under gauged polychrome lintel, and ground floor canted bay with 4 windows as at left. To right, a single storey bay with pair of lights in stone surrounds and with central colonette, the flat roof has stone coping and a ball finial to corner. C20 dormers. NORTHEAST elevation has advanced single storey to left with prominent chimney breast and stack behind, and large gable to right with plainer corbelled and stepped eaves detail. Some windows replaced in C20. C20 extension to North west not of special interest.
INTERIOR: Includes splat baluster stair, doors and architraves with various castellated, geometric and Gothic details.

Group Value with the adjacent and contemporary Holy Trinity Church also by Edward Haycock, Jnr.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.