History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ashstead Farmhouse Including Attached Outbuildings and Garden Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Godalming, Surrey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1749 / 51°10'29"N

Longitude: -0.6246 / 0°37'28"W

OS Eastings: 496246

OS Northings: 142641

OS Grid: SU962426

Mapcode National: GBR FD7.BWV

Mapcode Global: VHFVT.4Q5P

Plus Code: 9C3X59FG+X5

Entry Name: Ashstead Farmhouse Including Attached Outbuildings and Garden Wall

Listing Date: 31 March 2004

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1390825

English Heritage Legacy ID: 491141

Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7

County: Surrey

Civil Parish: Godalming

Built-Up Area: Godalming

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Godalming

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Godalming

Listing Text

GODALMING

1338/0/10016 ASHSTEAD LANE
20-MAR-04 Ashstead Farmhouse, including attached
outbuildings and garden wall

II
Farmhouse with attached outbuildings and garden wall, now house. C17 two bay wing to east with 1732 three bay parlour wing added to west and c1900 wing added to south. Built of Bargate stone rubble with brick dressings,ironstone galleting and tiled roof with brick chimneystacks. Two storeys and attics; irregular fenestration.
EXTERIOR: West front has three windows to C18 wing. Attics have two gabled C19 dormers. Below early C19 12-pane sashes and wide doorcase with 6-panelled door, the four upper panels glazed. To the south is the projecting c1900 wing which has a half-hipped roof, two 12-pane sashes to the first floor and French windows to the ground floor. The south front of the c1900 wing is tile-hung on the upper floor. The north front of the C17 east wing has a tiled C19 bathroom projection on the first floor, one sash and one casement window and a cambered brick doorcase. The south side of the C17 wing has a tile-hung first floor, two sash windows and a C20 Bargate stone extension not of special interest.
INTERIOR: The C17 wing retains a ground floor beam, probably reused; the timberframed western gable is visible internally and the original roof of two bays with original pegged rafters, clasped purlins and queenposts survives intact.The 1732 wing has a cellar with original brick half-winder staircase, three lantern niches and a spine beam with a one inch chamfer. The Lounge has a spine beam with one inch chamfer and to the north, an early C18 stone fireplace with Gibbs surround, bead and reel decoration and keystone with acanthus leaf. The southern end, which was a separate room originally, retains a cambered brick fireplace, although this was covered by a radiator at the time of inspection. The late C19 staircase leads to the first floor, which has an C18 timberframed internal partition which includes a jowled post with curved profile. There are four two-panelled doors, two with original L-hinges. A number of bedrooms have C19 firegrates. The eastern wall of the attic has an oval slate plaque dated 1732, with original door below of three planks with L-hinges. There is also a small section of panelling, an 8-panelled door with deep fielding and a three plank door. The C18 roof structure of principal rafters, purlins and collars remains intact.
SUBSIDIARY BUILDINGS: Attached to the north side of the C18 wing is a contemporary brewhouse/washhouse with dairy. This is of one storey mainly of Bargate stone, but the south side is timberframed and clad in original weatherboarding with tiled roof. Internally, the wall-framing is exposed with midrail and diagonal braces; there is a small fireplace, plank doors and three steps down to an outshot with brick counter. The floor is paved with bricks. Also attached to Ashstead Farmhouse is a Bargate stone garden wall with some brick dressings, incorporating an C18 Bargate stone outbuilding with tiled roof and a C19 brick second storey at the west end, possibly used as an apple store.
Included as a C17 farmhouse with 1732 parlour wing, retaining many original features and with attached brewhouse/bakehouse and dairy, another outbuilding possibly used as an apple store and the garden wall.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.