This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.0047 / 55°0'16"N
Longitude: -1.4442 / 1°26'39"W
OS Eastings: 435646
OS Northings: 567931
OS Grid: NZ356679
Mapcode National: GBR LBCK.4R
Mapcode Global: WHD4R.SGGP
Entry Name: The Porthole Public House
Listing Date: 12 May 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390831
English Heritage Legacy ID: 491012
Location: North Tyneside, NE29
County: North Tyneside
Electoral Ward/Division: Riverside
Built-Up Area: Tynemouth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: North Shields Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
1022/0/10042 NEW QUAY
12-MAY-04 North Shields
The Porthole Public House
Public House, built in 1897, replacing earlier public house on the site. Constructed of red brick and terracotta under tiled roof, designed by W & T R Milburn of Sunderland. South-west facade (front); two gable ends divided by first floor balcony, two doors both in right hand gable, third on left hand corner where first floor is jettied. Large multi-paned arched window between doors in right hand gable, three large multi-paned square windows to left, all separated by wooden pilasters with scrolled tops. Triangular pediments above two right hand doors projecting into first storey level. Prominent gables with sandstone shell and ball finials. Right hand gable has three-light canted bay window with leaded canopy. Flanked to left by one and to right by two narrow sash windows. Left hand gable has four sash windows with single ornamental brick arch over and decorative panel above. Central shallow balcony with two sash windows and wide arch above. String courses above and below first floor windows and decorative terracotta segmental arches above windows and balcony. North-west face; Three large multi-paned windows as at the front, with a door at each corner under jettied first floor. First floor has 2 windows either side of central protruding large chimney stack with decorative brickwork. Rear of this wing protrudes beyond rest of rear face and contains a second chimney stack. Two single storey outshuts at rear, one with two blocked windows, and remains of a further building. Three windows at first floor with segmental brick arches. Single storey flat-roofed modern extension to south-east.
INTERIOR: Apart from fenestration and external doors, ground floor has lost its original layout, with ceilings lowered and rooms opened out. Stairs to first floor at right hand end, leading to corridor behind four principal rooms. First has original cast iron and tiled fireplace, skirting and door. Second room also has fireplace, door and skirting, with narrow door to balcony. Third, smaller room, and final large room with original windows to 2 sides and modern brick fireplace. This room opens to rear kitchen with modern fittings. Bathroom also to rear.
The designers of the building were theatre designers, and this is reflected in the decorative treatment, especially the first floor balcony which resembles a theatre box.
Sources: 'The Northumbrian Pub - an Architectural History', LF Pearsons
'As They Were', R Thompson Dix
North Shields Archives
Other nearby listed buildings