This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1585 / 51°9'30"N
Longitude: -3.1213 / 3°7'16"W
OS Eastings: 321681
OS Northings: 140519
OS Grid: ST216405
Mapcode National: GBR M0.791M
Mapcode Global: VH6GZ.V47P
Plus Code: 9C3R5V5H+CF
Entry Name: Rectory Cottage
Listing Date: 19 October 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391141
English Heritage Legacy ID: 492666
Location: Fiddington, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA5
Civil Parish: Fiddington
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
435/0/10009 CHURCH ROAD
19-OCT-04 Rectory Cottage
House. Circa mid C17 remodelling of an earlier house; extended C19 and altered C20. Painted stone rubble, front partly refaced in brick. Thatched roof with gabled ends; clay pantile roofs to additions. Gable-end stacks with rebuilt brick shafts.
PLAN: 2-room and through-passage plan, kitchen on left [south west]and parlour on right [north east], both rooms heated from fireplaces in gable-end stacks; behind the kitchen there is an unheated service room in a rear wing. The re-use of a smoke-blackened timber as a purlin in the C17 roof structure and the unusually long plan for a C17 2-room plan house might suggest that it is a C17 remodelling of an earlier, Medieval, house. The through-passage doorways have been blocked and the wide through-passage is now a narrow room. A small addition at the right [NE] end was largely rebuilt in the C20 and the front wall has been partly reconstructed in brick. There is a circa C19 cartshed on the left [SW] end.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4-window south east front, left hand rebuilt in brick with two late C19 casement windows with glazing bars, centre and right C20 metal casements; doorway to left of centre with partly glazed door; 1-window range set back on right end with pantile roof. At rear [NW] broad wing on right with thatched half-hipped roof and under eaves on left a C17 chamfered timber 3-light window with old casement with leaded panes. Stone cartshed on south west gable end with lean-to pantile roof and open front.
INTERIOR: The ground floor rooms have deeply chamfered cross-beams with step-stops; the kitchen has a large fireplace, its bressumer replaced and later oven inserted; the parlour has fireplace with chamfered monolithic jambs with broach stops and cambered timber bressumer, the chamfer dying into the jambs. 4-bay C17 roof structure with collar trusses, the collars with halved and lapped dovetail joints to the principals, two tiers of trenched purlins, diagonal ridgepiece and intact common-rafters and battens; one re-used smoke-blackened purlin. Rear wing also appears to have original roof structure.
A largely complete C17 2-room plan house, probably a remodelling of a Medieval house.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings