History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Briars Hey

A Grade II Listed Building in Rainhill, St. Helens

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4068 / 53°24'24"N

Longitude: -2.7607 / 2°45'38"W

OS Eastings: 349528

OS Northings: 390272

OS Grid: SJ495902

Mapcode National: GBR 9Y51.3G

Mapcode Global: WH87B.KMML

Plus Code: 9C5VC64Q+PP

Entry Name: Briars Hey

Listing Date: 24 February 2005

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1391242

English Heritage Legacy ID: 492355

Location: Rainhill, St. Helens, L35

County: St. Helens

Civil Parish: Rainhill

Built-Up Area: Prescot

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Rainhill St Ann

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Rainhill

Listing Text

RAINHILL

1303/0/10011 MILL LANE
24-FEB-05 Briars Hey

II
Detached Villa, latterly children's convalescent home and care home,empty at the time of inspection (December 2004). 1868, with later C20 alterations and additions. By William Hayward Brakspear, architect (c.1815-1898), of Manchester for alkali and glass manufacturer John Crossley. Coursed rock-faced red sandstone with ashlar dressings and decorative sculpture, tall chimney stacks with coupled shafts and corbelled caps and a Welsh slate roof covering incorporating decorative banding. Exuberant Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: Irregular T-plan with canted end bays to west elevation extending beyond line of front and rear walls of the main house body, and the principal reception rooms arranged around a central stair hall.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics. Near-symmetrical west elevation of 5 bays with advanced wide-gabled central entrance bay incorporating a richly-moulded pointed arched doorway with splayed jambs below an elaborate bracketed canopy with pendant enrichment. Above this, a wide pointed-arched 3-light mullioned window with plate traceried head and hood mould extending into gable apex. Single lancets flank the doorway, and the ranges either side of the entrance have central chimneys with coupled shafts. Long 5-bay north elevation with central arched entrance with traceried overlight. Wide canted end bay to right with tall 2 light window with plate-traceried gabled head breaking through the eaves line. 2 and 3-light windows to ground floor have pointed and cusped arched heads, and sash window frames without glazing bars. Tall left-hand end bay with pyramidal roof supporting a substantial lantern. Main roof with 2 tall ridge chimneys and 2 small gabled dormer windows.
INTERIOR: Institutional use in the later C20 resulted in substantial alteration to the interior, with sub-division of larger rooms. The central stair hall, entrance vestibules and connecting passages retain fine patterned encaustic floor surfaces. The stair hall has pointed-arched arcades at ground floor and first floor landing levels, the columns with carved capitals and the arch spandrels pierced by quatrefoils. The open well stair has fine ornamental balustrading, carved newel posts and moulded handrails. The stair well is illuminated by a generous lantern, its square panelled roof with cross beams supported on slender brackets. The lantern glazing is arranged in 3 sets of 4 lights to each face. The ground floor retains some original 6-panel doors with arched mouldings to the upper panels, deep skirtings and moulded architraves. The former library retains original half-glazed library cabinets. The passage between the west elevation doorway and the stair hall has moulded pointed arches spanning and flanking the passage.
HISTORY: Briars Hey was completed in 1868. The architect, William Haywood Brackspear had worked under Charles Barry and A W N Pugin on designs for the Houses of Parliament, and Briars Hey is considered to be his most important domestic commission, as well as the most costly, the cost recorded in his practice ledger amounting to £12,213. The house and estate was acquired in 1938 by the religious order of The Sisters of The Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, the house becoming the St Joseph's Convent, a childrens convalescent home. In 1970 it was purchased by Lancashire County Council for use as a children's home.

Sources . Nikolaus Pevsner. The Buildings of England . Lancashire. The Industrial and Commercial South, p 371.

Briars Hey is of special architectural interest as the most important domestic design by the notable Manchester architect William Haywood Brakspear. This imposing and finely-detailed stone building is little-altered externally and retains high quality interior elements despite later changes to facilitate institutional use.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.