History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Signal Box at Loughborough Central Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Loughborough, Leicestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.7722 / 52°46'19"N

Longitude: -1.1962 / 1°11'46"W

OS Eastings: 454323

OS Northings: 319704

OS Grid: SK543197

Mapcode National: GBR 8KT.4D1

Mapcode Global: WHDHQ.LLL3

Plus Code: 9C4WQRC3+VG

Entry Name: Signal Box at Loughborough Central Station

Listing Date: 22 April 2005

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1391315

English Heritage Legacy ID: 494108

Location: Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE11

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood

Electoral Ward/Division: Loughborough Hastings

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Loughborough

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Loughborough All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

Signal box at Loughborough Central sta

Railway signal Box. 1898 for the Great Central Railway. Red brick and timber framing with a Welsh slate roof. Red brick locking room with four 2 x 2 pane windows with stone cills. Upper floor with external timber staircase at the south end. The upper floor has 6 x 3 windows, each window has 2 x 3 panes in two sliding sashes. Bargeboarded gable with spike finial. Red brick stack in centre of rear wall.
Interior not inspected, but it is reported to have the original locking frame; this remains in use for the working of Loughborough Central Station.
History: Loughborough Central station, of which this is the signal box, was opened by the Great Central Railway on what was originally the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway's London Extension when it was promoted in 1893. It became the GCR in 1897. Loughborough Central was opened on 15th March 1899 and closed on 5th May 1969. It was reopened on 23rd March 1974 as headquarters of the Great Central Railway (a private steam preservation line. It forms part of a unique group.
Information from Martin Hammond, Honorary Architect, Great Central Railway.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.