This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1015 / 51°6'5"N
Longitude: 0.1397 / 0°8'22"E
OS Eastings: 549903
OS Northings: 135760
OS Grid: TQ499357
Mapcode National: GBR LNP.S5P
Mapcode Global: VHHQJ.CKPX
Plus Code: 9F32442Q+JV
Entry Name: Barn at Duckings
Listing Date: 3 December 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391339
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490799
Location: Withyham, Wealden, East Sussex, TN7
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Withyham
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Withyham St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
995/0/10092 Barn at Duckings
Barn. Late C16, reusing earlier timbers, with eastern bay added in early C18 and eastern gable wall replaced in the early C19.
EXTERIOR: Timberframed barn of five bays on a sandstone plinth with tiled roof, hipped to the east and gabled to the west. The central cart entrance to the north has full-height cart doors, C20 but retaining earlier pintle hinges.
INTERIOR: The original building phase had four bays, extended to the east by one bay in the early C18. The original late C16 structure comprised a waggon bay flanked by a storage bay to the east and two storage bays to the west. As there is no evidence for infill at the current west gable and a mortice above the plate level it appears the building originally extended to the west as a lean-to. The barn incorporates reused timbers including mediaeval rafters, heavy principal posts with redundant brace mortices, girding beams, wall plates and roof collars, all reused. The wall frame has a midrail and the principal posts have swelling and splay shape jowls and some curved braces. The roof has a hip at the east end and is of side purlin construction with queenposts and the roof has curved windbraces to two bays in the rear slope and a high set collar beam to the hipped end. Rope stains suggest that the roof wasw originally thatched. In the early C18 the barn was extended to the east by the addition of a storage bay with small swelling jowls to the principal posts. The roof rafters to this bay are more closely spaced and the hipped terminal does not have a hish set collar at the apex. The curved braces to this bay are probably reused. The east end gable wall appears to date from the early C19.
HISTORY: Shown on a map of 1597.
Timberframed barn of five bays on sandstone plinth dating from the late C16 with reused mediaval timbers, the eastern bay an addition of early C18 date and early C19 gable end grouping with other structures from the original farmstead.
[Alan Dickinson "Archaeological Interpretative Survey of the barn at Duckings Farm Withyham East Sussex" February 2004.]
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings