This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4872 / 52°29'13"N
Longitude: 1.3736 / 1°22'25"E
OS Eastings: 629148
OS Northings: 293045
OS Grid: TM291930
Mapcode National: GBR WKM.03K
Mapcode Global: VHL8S.RRK6
Plus Code: 9F43F9PF+VF
Entry Name: The Laurels
Listing Date: 22 November 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391352
English Heritage Legacy ID: 494547
Location: Bedingham, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR35
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Bedingham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Bedingham St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
1898/0/10015 HALL ROAD
22-NOV-05 The Laurels
House. L-shaped with extensions. Rear wing incorporates C15 or earlier open hall with C17 floor insertion, extension and underbuilding of frame. Front block of 1860. C19 brick elevations and extensions to rear. Late C20 conservatory attached to south gable-end of main block. Mostly red brick, fragmentary timber frame, pantile roofs with replacement roof structure. C19 principal east-facing façade two storey of three bays with tripartite and plain sashes under arched heads and central part-glazed panelled door with flat hood on modillions and plain bracketed pilasters. Datestone reads 1860 with initials CWU above. North-facing wing, two storey with casement windows under arched heads. Off-centre doorway in original medieval position, casement windows in gable end.
Interior: C19 block has central hall with flanking single rooms, moulded cornice and shutter boxes to ground floor windows, no internal decoration at first floor, replacement fireplaces throughout. C17 extensions reworked in C19, some C17 transverse bridging beams remain. C15 or earlier fragmentary open hall; smoke-blackened open hall truss at first floor comprising arch-braced tie beam with queen struts supporting collar in roof space. Passing braces lap-jointed to the queen struts also spring from tie beam and continue to collar where they form an arch. Collars lap-jointed to rafters and have trenches for clasped purlins. At ground floor, two-centre arched service doorways in passage and widened stair-case which may be in the original position. At east end, there is an exposed tie beam which marks the end of hall.
Fragmentry C15 or earlier two-roomed hall which may have had two cross wings. Reworked and extended in C17. Substanitally rebuilt and front block added C19. Unusual open hall truss survives, a precursor of mid East Anglian queen post roof.
Listing NGR 6291 2930
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.