This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7711 / 51°46'15"N
Longitude: -1.2602 / 1°15'36"W
OS Eastings: 451147
OS Northings: 208302
OS Grid: SP511083
Mapcode National: GBR 8YR.S8K
Mapcode Global: VHCXN.3RN5
Plus Code: 9C3WQPCQ+CW
Entry Name: 20, Northmoor Road
Listing Date: 23 November 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391361
English Heritage Legacy ID: 492578
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2
Electoral Ward/Division: St Margaret's
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
612/0/10108 NORTHMOOR ROAD
Private house. 1924. Designed by Fred E Openshaw for Basil Blackwell, the owner of Blackwell's Bookshop in Broad Street. During 1930-47 this house was the home of Professor J R R Tolkien.
Roughcast brick with brick plinth, plain tile roof brick stacks. Double pile range, with service end to north. 2 storeys. Wooden mullion windows with leaded casements.
Street front has recessed centre flanked by projecting gabled wings. Plank door to right of recessed centre with 5-light mullion windows on either side. Above a central 3-light window flanked by 4-light windows in the projecting gables.
INTERIOR plan survives unaltered, except for the wall between the former study and drawing room which was removed for Tolkien in order to enlarge the room in which he worked. Original doors, doorhandles and window catches with elaborate heart motif. Open well staircase with wide and narrow splat balusters. Two arched brick fireplaces. Built-in bedroom cupboards and airing cupboard. Built-in meat safe in larder.
This house is listed for its historic importance as the home and workplace of Professor J R R Tolkein from 1930 to 1947. It was in this house that Tolkien wrote the whole of The Hobbit [1930-32, published 1937] and almost all of the Lord of the Rings [1937-49].
Other nearby listed buildings