This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6183 / 51°37'5"N
Longitude: 0.4454 / 0°26'43"E
OS Eastings: 569392
OS Northings: 193883
OS Grid: TQ693938
Mapcode National: GBR NKJ.KDN
Mapcode Global: VHJKM.NLT8
Entry Name: Oak Hill Farm Barn
Listing Date: 21 October 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391396
English Heritage Legacy ID: 494887
Location: Great Burstead and South Green, Basildon, Essex, CM11
Civil Parish: Great Burstead and South Green
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Burstead St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
717/0/10026 COXES FARM ROAD
21-OCT-05 Oak Hill Farm Barn
Barn, dated 1744 with later C18 phases.
Plan: It is approximately ' L' shaped comprising a four bay rectangular barn with single bay midstrey and lean-to, projecting to the east. It is aligned north-south.
Materials: It is timber framed, using both oak and elm, on a brick plinth with weather-boarded exterior and has a peg-tiled heel gabled roof, with a catslide over the lean-to.
Exterior: On the west elevation there is a central, single, timber, battened door at ground floor and a smaller battened door beneath the eaves at the north end, which may have led onto an upper floor or loft, although there is no evidence of this inside. Both doors have original strap hinges. The eastern elevation of the midstrey has double, timber, battened doors for cart access. The doors have the original strap hinges, but the battens have been sawn off at the lower level and replaced with horizontal planks. Both the northern and southern elevations are weatherboarded and have no entrances.
Interior: The barn is of the 'post and truss' type. The main range has a roof truss comprising a tie beam with raking struts and staggered tenoned purlins. The central tie-beam has the date 1744 carved on it and there are carpenters marks on all the tie beams. The western wall plate has a face halved and bladed scarf joint. The wall frames are close studded and all the joints are pegged. There is a door on the southern elevation which has been boarded-over on the exterior. The midstrey has a clasped purlin rafter roof with collars and close studded cross frames with angled brace. Lathe and plaster infill panels survive to full height on the southern elevation. The lean-to is a later addition and has corrugated metal panels on the interior. There is a replacement concrete floor throughout.
Substantially complete pre-1750 farm buildings are rare, and are likely to be worthy of protection. A further consideration is the presence of a date for the structure; dated barns are rare and can greatly assist in establishing a typology for the development of the building type.
Listing NGR: 5694 1937
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings