This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9902 / 50°59'24"N
Longitude: 0.4732 / 0°28'23"E
OS Eastings: 573673
OS Northings: 124114
OS Grid: TQ736241
Mapcode National: GBR PVG.SK5
Mapcode Global: FRA C6WH.G5Z
Entry Name: Western Part of the Former Oasthouse to Mill Farm
Listing Date: 24 October 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391400
English Heritage Legacy ID: 494639
Location: Salehurst and Robertsbridge, Rother, East Sussex, TN32
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Salehurst and Robertsbridge
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Salehurst St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
1917/0/10062 NORTHBRIDGE STREET
Western part of the former oasthouse t
o Mill Farm
Probably stowage building for an oasthouse. Late C18 with a few later C20 modifications. Timberframed building clad in weatherboarding (part still tarred) with gabled pegtiled roof sweeping to ground floor to the south west.
PLAN: Two storeys and attics building of five bays with outshot with cart access to south west.
EXTERIOR: The south east gable has a large C20 attic casement window, two blocked openings to the first floor and a ground floor former outshot opening, probably accessible by cart, currently blocked in corrugated iron. The clockface and weathervane of traditional type were added in the 1930s. To the north west the gable has a small original attic opening and two blocked openings on the first floor divided by a loading door. The ground floor is mainly open on this side for storage, probably accessed by cart. To the north east it abuts a later brick eastern range, originally forming two hop kilns. not of special interest.
INTERIOR: The ground floor has some earlier reused upright posts with bolted knees, a rear wall with diagonal braces and the roof of the outshot is of staggered purlins. The first floor has upright posts with curved jowls and splayed central posts. The attic has a roof with staggered purlins, ridgepiece and original rafters with some diagonal braces and old floorboards. The bolted knees were added to the principal rafters in the C19. There are side boards with beaded moulding for storage, probably of early C19 date.
HISTORY: This was the western range of an oasthouse to Mill Farm which adjoined Hodson's Mill. Old photographs of the mill taken after the mill fire of 1902 show the farmhouse with a Georgian exterior to the south of this building but it has since been demolished and this is the only farm building of Mill Farm surviving.
A substantially intact late C18 timberframed farm building, probably stowage to an oasthouse.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings