This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8337 / 54°50'1"N
Longitude: -2.8703 / 2°52'13"W
OS Eastings: 344193
OS Northings: 549112
OS Grid: NY441491
Mapcode National: GBR 8DDK.C1
Mapcode Global: WH809.WRCS
Entry Name: Wreay Hall Mill
Listing Date: 21 July 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391527
English Heritage Legacy ID: 492471
Location: Hesket, Eden, Cumbria, CA4
Civil Parish: Hesket
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Wreay St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
Wreay Hall Mill
Water-powered corn mill and attached drying kiln. Dated 1663 and 1808, with later architect unknown. Rock-faced red sandstone with dressed sandstone quoins beneath sandstone and slate roof coverings.
PLAN: L-shaped plan form with the kiln house stepped back from the main elevation and with an attached brick and rock-faced sandstone wheelhouse outshut to rear.
EXTERIOR: Main east elevation has doorway to kilns with timber door on ground floor, small window with two vertical iron bars on upper floor and roof vent above. Mill has chamfered door surround with timber door at north end of structure with stone lintel above door and two date stones above lintel. Oldest date stone has triangular inset with initials and date carved in relief, youngest date stone is carved with three lines of initials above date. Ground-floor window to left of door with timber-doored opening on upper floor above. Aperture for drive shaft to left of window. South gable has central ground-floor window and timber-doored opening on first floor. Rear elevation has timber-doored opening on upper floor of mill. Outshut contains in situ waterwheel, entrance doorway on west elevation, opening on north elevation. Kiln house has two small windows, one on ground floor one on upper floor, and two ground floor vertical wall vents. North gable has five rectangular vent or putlog holes on upper floor.
INTERIOR: Ground floor contains main drive machinery from wheelhouse including primary and secondary gear wheels, drive shafts and a hoist. Timber ceiling to ground floor. Access from ground floor of mill to original brick-built drying kiln Timber stairs to former stone floor of mill which contains timber floor, the hoist wheel and timber roof structure. Upper floor of kiln house has timber floor and timber roof structure.
HISTORY: Date stones suggest an earlier building of 1663, remodelled in 1808. Both date stones are initialled.
Unpublished information provided by the applicant.
Davies-Shiel, M. Watermills of Cumbria. See http://www.cumbria-industries.org.uk/corn.htm
Wreay Hall Mill is of special architectural interest as a water-powered corn or grist mill, thought to have been built in 1663,subsequently remodelled in 1803, and retaining much of its machinery, its water wheel and drying kiln.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings