History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Baptist Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Hullavington, Wiltshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5399 / 51°32'23"N

Longitude: -2.1523 / 2°9'8"W

OS Eastings: 389532

OS Northings: 182341

OS Grid: ST895823

Mapcode National: GBR 1Q5.GMV

Mapcode Global: VH95Y.NK0D

Entry Name: Baptist Chapel

Listing Date: 28 April 2006

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1391638

English Heritage Legacy ID: 495392

Location: Hullavington, Wiltshire, SN14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Hullavington

Built-Up Area: Hullavington

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Hullavington Norton and Stanton St Quintin

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Stanton Saint Quintin

Listing Text

HULLAVINGTON

1359/0/10046 NEWTOWN
28-APR-06 (Northwest side)
Baptist Chapel

II
A simple Nonconformist chapel dating from c.1821. A small scale, one-roomed chapel of coursed limestone rubble; the roof is half hipped and covered in Cotswold stone slates. The chapel building is rectangular in plan and oriented north-south, with a later single storey vestry (post-1842) attached to the east. The entrance is to the south, with a C19 six panel flush door in a dressed limestone surround with flattened arched top. The entrance porch is of coursed limestone rubble with dressed limestone quoins to the front elevation, and a flat corrugated metal roof. Above the entrance doorway is a single pointed arched window in a dressed limestone surround, divided into two lights by Y-shaped iron tracery. The western elevation has two similar windows, that to the east has only one.

Interior : the chapel has timber tongue and groove panelling to a height of roughly 1 metre around all four sides, rising to c.2 metres in the centre of the northern wall, the probable site of the pulpit, which has been removed. There is a timber gallery to the southern end, raised on two moulded timber columns. The gallery is fronted in timber with raised and fielded panels, and is accessed by a simple straight stair with turned balusters. There may be the remains of a baptismal font for immersion in the floor towards the northern end of the building. The vestry room was heated with a small fireplace (now removed) and the chimney was installed in the depth of the external wall of the chapel building, emerging through the north east corner of the chapel.

Subsidiary features : The chapel plot is bounded by a dry stone wall c.1 metre high, closely enclosing the chapel building and two small areas on the northern and eastern sides which contain headstones marking burials, all dating from the C19.

History: The chapel is recorded as having been erected in 1821 and held in trust for Baptists and Independents. The building is certainly present on the tithe map of 1842 for Hullavington. This is one of three Nonconformist chapels surviving in the village, one dating originally from 1697 but in use as a school from 1818 to 1842; the second was not constructed until 1843, indicating that for a period in the early-mid C19 the present building was the focus for Nonconformism in the community. It fell out of use in 1927 and had subsequently been used as agricultural storage until the time of inspection in 2006.

Sources : RCHME Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels in South-West England, 1991.


Summary of importance : Most buildings dating from before 1840 which survive largely intact merit consideration for listing, and this is especially true for places of worship which are often the focus for their communities and reflect their development. The main building of the Baptist Chapel, dating from 1821, is unaltered, and although some of its interior fittings have been removed, its form and function are immediately comprehensible. Whilst it is architecturally simple and unadorned, the building is of good quality and has clear architectural merit, entirely reflecting the tradition of Nonconformist building in the C19.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.