History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Electricity Junction Box Outside Nos. 12-14

A Grade II Listed Building in Folkestone, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0809 / 51°4'51"N

Longitude: 1.1558 / 1°9'20"E

OS Eastings: 621134

OS Northings: 136025

OS Grid: TR211360

Mapcode National: GBR V0P.50X

Mapcode Global: FRA F698.B47

Entry Name: Electricity Junction Box Outside Nos. 12-14

Listing Date: 30 March 2007

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1391909

English Heritage Legacy ID: 502320

Location: Folkestone, Shepway, Kent, CT20

County: Kent

District: Shepway

Civil Parish: Folkestone

Built-Up Area: Folkestone

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Sandgate

Listing Text

FOLKESTONE

737/0/10039 BATHURST RD
30-MAR-07 ELECTRICITY JUNCTION BOX OUTSIDE NOS.
12-14

II
Electrical junction box, early C20, believed to date to c1904.

DESCRIPTION: The junction box is cast iron with moulded decoration. Standing about 1.2m high, the box and base are square in plan, the base attic in form, standing on a shallow plinth. Each rectangular side of the box bears a panel with raised decoration enclosed within a moulded frame, one of which is a door giving access to the inside. The most elaborately decorated panel bears the crest of Folkestone Borough Council. Above each panel is a pendulous arabesque decoration hanging from the lower edge of the cornice. The chamfered moulded shoulders of the box spread to translate the square to an octagon, on alternate sides of which, above the chamfered corners of the square, are inverted cup handles with fluted decoration. Immediately above is a moulded cornice, and the box is finished with a domed cap.

HISTORY: The junction box stands on the roadside in front of Nos. 12 & 14 Bathurst Road. A date embossed on the porch of No.14 indicates that these, and No. 16, were built in 1904, ten to twenty years before the development of the surrounding area. It seems probable that the junction box was erected by Folkestone Borough Council, whose crest is on one of the side panels of the box, to provide electricity to these properties: this date is consistent with similar but rarely surviving structures erected elsewhere in England in the late C19 and early C20.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The cast iron junction box on Bathurst Road is a good in situ example of early electricity distribution equipment. No other examples of this ornate design are recorded, and it may be unique to Folkestone. It is illustrative of the high quality of industrial design for the early electricity industry.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.